Identify the Propellers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

John_Namib

Recruit
Jan 19, 2024
What is this? Came from a ship transporting war supplies that wrecked in Nov 1942. I suspect variable pitch propellers, but what aircraft?
1W5A5864.JPG

Judging by the shape of the prop blade roots it can be for a Rotol wooden prop. There may be stamped numbers at the bottom of the balde, both at the metal adapter and the wooden bottom ending

for instance ....
here ...
IMG_1686a.jpg

and here ...
img_1686-jpeg.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Thank you very much for the reply Wurger. I will try and find the serial numbers, but they are badly rusted and weathered. Any suggestion as to what aircraft they would be used for?

The prop blades are really badly damaged. These have had to spent in the water a lot of time. The association with any particular plane may be impossible. However the left blade ( in your pic ) seems to be in not that bad condition taking the shape into consideration. I can see the traces of the metal sheath protecting of the blade leading edge. Also the remnants of the cover. Unfortunately the Rotol Airscrews made the blades for many British aircraft. So it may be a problem. What is the length of the left blade? Other pics of the blade could be also helpful.

Hi Wurger, I am unable to get an accurate measurement now, but from the top of the metal (rusted) adapter, the blade is just over 154cm, so quite long.

Humm .... I understand that by "from the top of the metal (rusted) adapter" you mean the lenght of the wooden part only doesn't you?

If so, the blade lenght could be about 180cm in total. It is about 71 inches. The lenght indicates the Rotol prop of 12' or 12'6" or 12'9" to 13' diameter then. Also the shape of the blade reminds me the prop blades used for the HP Halifax props. Certainly, nothing for sure with the level of the damges to the blades But its lenght may suggest just this plane type.

From the way the wood has been laid up, they appear to be righthand rotation.
For example: a righthand rotation blade would be used on a Merlin engine as one of many different engines.
But it would NOT be used on a Griffon engine as they are lefthand rotation, unless part of a contra rotating propeller system as the Shackelton used as an example.

Hi Guys, some more pics of the propeller blades. No marks visible on the metal collar, but a number on the base of one. Length from floor to tip is 141 cm.
IMG_0888.jpg
IMG_0893.jpg

Now it looks much better. 141 cm ... humm .. although the blade is damaged and out of its shape mostly it can be a left rotation Rotol balde of about 150cm length. So it could be the 4' and 11" or 59". It means that the blades could be used for the five-blade props for Griffon engine powered Spitfires.
Or if it is the right hand rotation blade it could be the 4' and 9" or 57,6" what indicates the Spitfire Mk.V powered by the Merlin unit.

Thank you for the reply. I had another look at the tip and it seems that the shorter blade would be a better fit. This would make it the MK. V. What would other aircraft options be in the size range you suggest?

Judging by the pics you posted in the first post here both blades are of the left hand rotation. So it can't be the Spitfire Mk.V because the prop baldes for the Merlin engine were of the right hand rotation. The L.H prop blades were used for the Griffon powered Spitfires. Eg ... Spitfire Mk XIV, XIX Seafire Mk.XV.

Judging by the pics you posted in the first post here both blades are of the left hand rotation. So it can't be the Spitfire Mk.V because the prop baldes for the Merlin engine were of the right hand rotation. The L.H prop blades were used for the Griffon powered Spitfires. Eg ... Spitfire Mk XIV, XIX Seafire Mk.XV.
By my view of the images of the blades and how the layers of the wood have been layed up, they appear to be Right Hand Rotation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back