Identifying different P51-Ds (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

stuffy

Recruit
Jul 15, 2022
So I'd like to think I know a bit about aircraft but clearly not as much as yall so I'd like to get a bit more knowledge on identifying models of aircraft like the p51 (just a more common ww2 aircraft to start with)

Thanks

The P-51A and the A-36 (which is a P-51A with Dive brakes) have a turtledeck canopy and an airscoop OVER the propeller spinner and a 3-bladed prop. Allison V-1710-49 or later dash number engine.

The P-51B/C (B made in Inglewood and C made in Dallas) have a turtledeck canopy and the airscoop is less pronounced and UNDER the prop spinner and 4-bladed prop. Merlin V-1650-3 engine.

The P-51D/K (D made in Inglewood and K made in Dallas) have bubble canopies and the aiorscoop UNDER the prop spinner and a 4-bladed prop. Merlin V-1650-7 engine.

All of the above have a small dogtooth on the wing root where the landing gear retracts.

The P-51H has no dogtooth (and smaller wheels) but otherwise looks similar to the P-51D/K with a bubble canopy and 4-bladed prop. Merlin Edit: V-1650-9 engine.

Last edited:
The P-51A and the A-36 (which is a P-51A with Dive brakes) have a turtledeck canopy and an airscoop OVER the propeller spinner and a 3-bladed prop. Allison V-1710-49 or later dash number engine.

The P-51B/C (B made in Inglewood and C made in Dallas) have a turtledeck canopy and the airscoop is less pronounced and UNDER the prop spinner and 4-bladed prop. Merlin V-1650-3 engine.

The P-51D/K (D made in Inglewood and K made in Dallas) have bubble canopies and the aiorscoop UNDER the prop spinner and a 4-bladed prop. Merlin V-1650-7 engine.

All of the above have a small dogtooth on the ing root where the landing gear retracts.

The P-51H has no dogtooth but otherwise looks similar to the P-51D/K with a bubble canopy and 4-bladed prop. Merlin V-1650-7 engine.
I thought that NA was inglewood and NT was dallas and that the K was a different propeller?

Also I know the basics like thag but for the the D models whats the difference between a d5 and a d20 is their a noticeable difference or is it stuff like the engine and coms and stuff of that nature?

B/D-NA was Inglewood. C/K-NT was Dallas. Think NA = North American Inglewood; NT = North American Texas (Dallas).

The D had a cuffed Hamilton-Standard prop and the K had a hollow-blade Aeroproducts prop, which proved unreliable and was replaced with the uncuffed Hamilton-Standard unit with blunt blade tips.

Dallas also built 1,600 P-51D-NT alongside the P-51K.

These sites will give you some of the basics.

The D model up to -5 had no dorsal fin added. Most early Ds with no dorsal fin were modded, so only early photos are reliable.

The ones with roundels were the fastest.
1668622149678.png

Try Original Documents the 1945 and 1946 Model Designations of Army Aircraft are a good start, but the 1945 one does not cover the later P-51 versions and the 1946 one had less detail. Note the lack of entry for the NA-73 Mustang mark I, while the P-51 was the Mustang mark IA.

Also see if you can find a copy of "index of AF Serial numbers assigned to aircraft 1958 or prior", no URL, the downloadable PDF does not seem to be where I thought it was.

"The D model up to -5 had no dorsal fin added. Most early Ds with no dorsal fin were modded, so only early photos are reliable."
Were not the D-0 and/or D-1 still the razorback as the Bs and Cs? Perhaps 5 built, IIRC.

For a lot less work, though not for free, among the best single sources for detailed version info (with breakdown by mfg blocks, etc.) are the two P-51 books (Early - A/B and Late - D/K, plus the experimental lightweight F/G/H/J variants) available here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back