Identity of an 85 Sq Havoc circa August 1942

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Simon Ewers

Recruit
Aug 8, 2019
Hi all,

Seeking information on the identity of the 85 Squadron A-20 Havoc flown by Sgts Sullivan and Skeel when they destroyed a Ju88 over Essex on the night of 12-13th August 1942.

Any help in locating the aircraft serial number and squadron code would be much appreciated.

Thanks and keep up the excellent work, this is rapidly becoming my go-to place for info.

Simon

Already had a look when finding the info on the Ju-88.
Although the crew of the Ju are named, and a brief description of the 'combat' and the crash, I didn't find any further info on the Havoc.
It seems that the Havoc probably didn't actually shoot down the Ju-88, which was seen at 15,000 feet, and the Havoc climbed to attack., when the Junkers dived away almost vertically, the Havoc following in pursuit.
The Havoc pulled out of the dive on nearing the ground, but the Ju didn't, carrying on at great speed, being almost entirely buried,
Apparently. a claim was also made by an A.A. unit over the estuary, as the Ju-88 approached from the south west.
( info from Luftwaffe Crash Archive, Vol. 9, by Nigel Parker.)

It's possible that the Squadron ORB may show either the individual code letter or serial number (possibly both, although this is rare), and these can be accessed at the National Archives, Kew, either in person, or on-line.

Already had a look when finding the info on the Ju-88.
Although the crew of the Ju are named, and a brief description of the 'combat' and the crash, I didn't find any further info on the Havoc.
It seems that the Havoc probably didn't actually shoot down the Ju-88, which was seen at 15,000 feet, and the Havoc climbed to attack., when the Junkers dived away almost vertically, the Havoc following in pursuit.
The Havoc pulled out of the dive on nearing the ground, but the Ju didn't, carrying on at great speed, being almost entirely buried,
Apparently. a claim was also made by an A.A. unit over the estuary, as the Ju-88 approached from the south west.
( info from Luftwaffe Crash Archive, Vol. 9, by Nigel Parker.)

It's possible that the Squadron ORB may show either the individual code letter or serial number (possibly both, although this is rare), and these can be accessed at the National Archives, Kew, either in person, or on-line.

Thank you - I should have remembered the N.A. at Kew - yes, they had the ORB for that period and as you said, it stated the VY-K codes, not the serial but it's still a good step forward.

The old grey cells need a prompt now and again - thank you again for the prod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back