IJAAF/RAF aircraft over Hong Kong; December 1941

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Arvo L. V.

Recruit
Jul 15, 2006
Esteemed forum members;

I am trying to locate some more exacting information and/or photographs showing British RAF aircraft, which participated in the Battle for Hong Kong, December 1941. For example, Vickers Vildebeest's K2924, K2818 and K6370 as well as Supermarine Walrus's L2259 and 2819 were stationed at Hong Kong's Kai Tak air base in December of 1941. I'm trying to locate photographs of these airplanes as they appeared close to, or during, the Battle for Hong Kong.

As is known, Hong Kong had no significant air or naval defence cpabilities in December of 1941. The Kai Tak Royal Air Force (RAF) base on Hong Kong had only five airplanes at its disposal: two Walrus amphibians and three Vickers Vildebeeste torpedo bombers (s/n's in above para), flown and serviced by seven officers and 108 airmen. An earlier request for a full fighter squadron for the Kai Tak base had been rejected. The nearest fully-operational RAF base was in Kota Bharu, British Malaya.

I have a similar request to locate either photographs or descriptions of JAAF a/c (fighters and bombers), which participated in the Battle for Hong Kong. In addition, I'd like to ascertan which specific IJAAF squadrons/units participated in same; such as the 10th Independent Fighter (IF) Chutai, etc., and which aircraft types were operational with those units.

My goal is to be able to generate some color art work on some of the RAF and IJAAF aircraft in question - and gain a better understanding re the air war for Hong Kong.

Thank you kindly in advance for any assistance efforts, which can be rendered on my behalf, even if only to point me in the right direction, so I can locate the data I need on my own.

Regards;

Arvo L. V.

I wish you well, Arvo, I've been trying to obtain pics of the Malayan campaign Vildebeest for years with no joy. Remember, it was a breach of King's Regulations to photograph operational aircraft (I believe it still is!) and that the RAF personnel in Hong Kong, Malaya and Singapore were rather busy at the time . . .

Good hunting!

Simba.

Simba said:
I wish you well, Arvo, I've been trying to obtain pics of the Malayan campaign Vildebeest for years with no joy. Remember, it was a breach of King's Regulations to photograph operational aircraft (I believe it still is!) and that the RAF personnel in Hong Kong, Malaya and Singapore were rather busy at the time . . .

Good hunting!

Simba.

Do you know about the three book series "A Bloody Shambles"?

Its all about the allied airwar in Malaya, Burma and Dutch East Indies from before Pearl Harbor, through May 1942.

Esteemed Simba and syscom3;

Thank you kindly for your information. Locating photographs of RAF a/c at Kai Tak, December 1941 time frame, has so far been an elusive undertaking; adding the "King's Regulations" to the equation makes that task that much challenging. I will strive to obtain a copy of the three book series "A Bloody Shambles".

Again, many thanks. I am most appreciative of same.

Regards;

Arvo

I have been researching the Hong Kong Volunteer Corp Air Unit for many years and may be able to help.Just as a matter of interest there were a lot more than 5 aircraft at Hong Kong . The 5 aircraft of the HKVDFCAU and those of the Far East Flying School were also available.

I have checked the serial numbers of the five RAF aircraft assigned to Kai Tak Airfield during December 1941. I have been able to confirm the serial numbers of the three listed Vildebeests though have that the two serial numbers listed for the two Walrus's do not match aircraft stationed at Kai Tak airfield during December 1941. One of the serial numbers comes back to a Walrus that crashed prior to the beginning of the second world war. The second serial number comes back to Supermarine Swordfish in England. I have not been able to locate the serial numbers for any Walrus aircraft stationed at Kai Tak airfield or in the Hong Kong area during December 1941.

Last edited:
I sincerely apologies. I listed incorrect information. It was Supermarine Walrus I, serial number L2258 that crashed at Tytam Bay, Hong Kong on the 13th of July 1939, not the Supermarine Walrus I with serial number L2259 in question. I have not been able to find what actually happened to L2259, though have not found any actual official record of the aircraft having been lost to hostile action. As for the aircraft with the serial number of L2819, it comes back to a Swordfish that was listed as being lost on the 22nd of August, 1940. I did find a Walrus with a similar serial number of L2189. It is listed as having been lost on the 3rd of May 1938 at Hong Kong.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back