Instrument Panel ID.....T-38A Talon?? NASA??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

salutewwii

Airman
Jan 1, 2016
Decatur, AL
Need help with this panel. I'm almost positive it's a T-38A, NASA version... but can not find one single pic or manual that shows this instrument configuration or the curved (concave left and right top) panel. I'm no expert of the modern jet age......can someone help?

My-T-38A.jpg

It might have been used for an earlier planes or just other types because the panels for the T-38A have a little bit different shape.

A couple of shots you may find here...

NASA T-38 Fleet

Thanks Wurger....nice photos. I was thinking the same thing....maybe an earlier version....but have seen very early pilot manuals and it shows a panel just like you see in the pics you sent.
Every pic I've seen the tops are straight angles and they have a slightly different cut out config...........I'm stumped....

It was a T-38
Thanks Wurger....nice photos. I was thinking the same thing....maybe an earlier version....but have seen very early pilot manuals and it shows a panel just like you see in the pics you sent.
Every pic I've seen the tops are straight angles and they have a slightly different cut out config...........I'm stumped....
Just a couple of idle questions, were the front and rear panels identical? And if this aircraft was supposed to be converted to a QT-38, could the panel have been modified?

Yes, the front and rear panels in the T-38A's are identical. At least the panel shape, there are slight differences in instruments. No, this panel I have could not have been modified from what you normally see in T-38A's. It was purposely manufactured this way....

1959 USAF Serial Numbers

59-1594/1601 Northrop T-38A-15-NO Talon
SN N.5107/5114
1594/1598 transferred to US Navy as DT-38A serials 591594/591598
1596 later converted to QT-38A which included ECM function. SOC due to damage Dec 20, 1980.

Great info mjfur….that begs the question....I don't think this panel itself was modified...were the T-38 early panels made this way? Wow.....1959....VERY early panel.
Thanks so much...

Well, to add to the confusion......from what I've read, the production model T-38A's weren't delivered until 1961. In 1959, only the prototypes were flying. ???

T-38A for sure, and a old one at that, if my research is correct. First giveaway is the radio call sign tag: 0-91596. These generally were derived from the a/c serial number, (aka, tail number). Attached is a very similar T-38A Talon panel for sale online. It's almost identical to the one posted by the O/P. Look at the radio call tag: 91598, just two units off. These two planes were built almost next to each other! Here's the website selling the panel: This is a rare NASA plane panel. It from T 38 BuNu 59 1598 and from what we have learned was the 4th
Very interesting history to 91598. If you Google T-38A Talon s/n 59-1596, you'll pull up plenty of history on that one too. Seems it ended up as a Navy aggressor at China Lake and at Top Gun at Miramar. Very cool! Also attached some pics of 59-1596 from back in the '70's.

3.jpg4.jpgUS_Navy_Northrop_DT-38A_Talon_at_NAS_Miramar_in_1974.jpg22124082801_bef4305830_z.jpg

T-38A for sure, and a old one at that, if my research is correct. First giveaway is the radio call sign tag: 0-91596. These generally were derived from the a/c serial number, (aka, tail number). Attached is a very similar T-38A Talon panel for sale online. It's almost identical to the one posted by the O/P. Look at the radio call tag: 91598, just two units off. These two planes were built almost next to each other! Here's the website selling the panel: This is a rare NASA plane panel. It from T 38 BuNu 59 1598 and from what we have learned was the 4th
Very interesting history to 91598. If you Google T-38A Talon s/n 59-1596, you'll pull up plenty of history on that one too. Seems it ended up as a Navy aggressor at China Lake and at Top Gun at Miramar. Very cool! Also attached some pics of 59-1596 from back in the '70's.

Wow....very cool indeed! Thanks whstlngdeath! Awesome job. Never even dawned on me to google the s/n......but then again I didn't know the radio call signs were derived from the s/n on those. Now all I need is an original cockpit photo so I can restore this panel back to it's original condition. Nice job, thanks everyone!!

Would anyone happen to have the early parts and or pilots manual for the early T-38A's???

Can't find that early T-38 literature anywhere. I believe it was incorporated into newer versions of the manuals. Here's something interesting, go to eBay and at the top of the page, all the way to the right of the "search" button, hit "advanced". That will take you to a different search page. Type in this item # where it says "enter keyword": 264348597932 then scroll down to where it says "search including" and click "completed listings", then all the way down the page and hit "search". On the next page, click on the title of that auction, and when the next page comes up, you'll see a picture of the auction that has "sold" on it. Just above that pic, right after the title of the auction, you'll see some tiny print that says: "see original listing". Click that and it will bring up,(finally!), the auction page, (just scroll down a little bit), of a early T-38 panel that's pretty much what you have. That one shows the instruments as used in a NASA ship at that time. Might be the best view of those old panel configurations yet. Hover over the pics and they will enlarge.

Thanks whstlngdeath! Nice find! Looks identical to mine with exception to the "Distance Nautical Miles" indicator, mine has an adapter bracket in it for some other gauge. This one has a couple of funny looking hydraulic gauges ( 1" ones with no markings or writing) and one of the EXH Temp indicators looks like a Lear commercial version. Other than that looks all mil-spec. I've put in a research request to the Grumman History Center, but no response. I've heard rumors they have closed their doors for good. Also contacted "messkit" on ebay, maybe he has some documentation. Thanks again my friend!! Great job! VERY much appreciated!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back