Interesting encounter report

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DAVIDICUS

Staff Sergeant
Feb 23, 2005
HEADQUARTERS
404TH Fighter Group
APO 595
US Army
28 August 1944
A. Type of action : Combat
B. Date : 27 August 1944
C. Unit : 404th Fighter Group, 506th Fighter Squadron (??)
D. Time of Attack : 14:30
E. Place : Coulommiers
F. Weather : 7/10 at 8000 hazy
G. Type of target : E/A (enemy aircraft) FW 190s
H. Claim : 3 FW 190s destroyed

At approximately 1450 just east of Coulommiers, I was flying on a course of 270 degrees heading home, altitude 50 feet, when I noticed 4 FW190s starting an attack on me from my right beam. I did not notice them due to the haze until they were within about 2000 yards. I turned right into their first attack. They split up into pairs, the second pair passing over me then attacking from my left forcing me to reverse my initial turn back to the left. They kept up these attacks from alternate sides for approximately 5 passes, firing on each pass. By this time my speed was well down due the tight turns, and they were forced into a lufberry with my aircraft leading. As this all occurred at tree top height, I used the trees as cover as much as possible during the turns. On about the 2nd circle I passed between two rows of trees, just making the entrance; the No 1. man behind me didn't make it, crashing into the trees. I then started to reduce speed down to approximately 120 m.p.h. using 1/3rd flaps and tightened my turn a bit more. After about 10 more circles, I was beginning to get onto the last man's tail. Just as I was getting deflection on him the E/A in front of him did a half snap roll, stalling out of his turn and hit the ground. Immediately afterwards the E/A in front of me also snapped onto his back and crashed, probably due to the incident in front of him or his hitting prop wash. Some time during this incident I lost track of the 4th E/A. I weaved all over looking for him but with no success. I continued on at tree top height using lots of power, heading for home as numerous other enemy aircraft were still in the area and my gas was a bit low by then. I noticed that after I used flaps and reduced speed below 130-140 mph the E/A started having trouble in their turns, enabling em to out turn them.

I claim 3 FW 190s destroyed.

Carroll W. McColpin
Colonel, Air Corps.

http://www.winkton.net/pages/mccolp~1.htm

Cartoon depiction of McColpin's ride that day:

luffbery72.jpg

Last edited:
McColpin came to 355th FG and became Group CO after my father came home. I first met him just after my father retired. Impressive guy.

His first flight time in the Mustang was when he became 355th CO just before the 355th rotated home from Germany. He loved the airplane.

I think this shot of my father's ship was with 404th FG pilots looking it over (post war Germany).

Attachments

• 355fg WRBbar_JaneVII_472953_oct1945 [marshall and ethell].jpg
    355fg WRBbar_JaneVII_472953_oct1945 [marshall and ethell].jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 137
Your dad flew the P-51B on D-Day though right?

Cartoon rendering of McColpin's ride that day.

luffbery72.jpg

Last edited:
Your dad flew the P-51B on D-Day though right?

Cartoon rendering of McColpin's ride that day.

luffbery72.jpg

Yes - it Henry Brown's WR-Z and he got his first score in that airplane on D-Day. he flew it the first three days. The first pic is June 7 T/O - note the lone swastika under all of Henry's painted over ones. The second pic is same ship after taking 20mm flak hit.

He was then assigned WR-O for about five weeks but got a brand new P-51D-10 on July 16 - the first (-10) in the Group. That was first WR-B

The one in the pic above was his last one - a P-51D-25.

Interesting note about McColpin.. he lost his US citizenship when he joined the RAF w/o official Government approval and did not regain it until after he made his first star in 1960... I never understood why he was somewhat singled out regarding losing it - maybe because he was one of the first.

McColpin also never went through a Flying School - he was self taught before WWII

Attachments

• 354 WRZ D-Day_Marshall [marshall].JPG
    354 WRZ D-Day_Marshall [marshall].JPG
    100 KB · Views: 117
  • 354 WRZ_Marshall_7June [marshall].jpg
    354 WRZ_Marshall_7June [marshall].jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Interesting note about McColpin.. he lost his US citizenship when he joined the RAF and did not regain it until after he made his first star in 1960... I never understood why he was somewhat singled out regarding losing it.

He also never went through a Flying School - he was self taught before WWII
was he RAF or RCAF as far as I know less then a 100 US citizens were in the RAF

RAF - joined 601 Sq then transferred to Eagles

I think he was RCAF not many US guys enlisted in the RAF as a rule they joined the RCAF and continued to draw the higher RCAF even when seconded to RAF units, have to check my books .Its a issue that is sometimes clouded as by the fact he served with RAF units

Last edited:
I think he was RCAF not many US guys enlisted in the RAF as a rule they joined the RCAF and continued to draw the higher RCAF even when seconded to RAF units, have to check my books .Its a issue that is sometimes clouded as by the fact he served with RAF units

My source is his own bio in American Fighter Aces Album as well as Olynyk's Stars and Bars. Could be wrong but less likely.

My source is his own bio in American Fighter Aces Album as well as Olynyk's Stars and Bars. Could be wrong but less likely.
trying to figure out how he joined the RAF from his location the only one I can think of off hand was Goodson as he enlisted in the RAF in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back