Internal wing tanks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

comiso90

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 19, 2006
FL
What was the first aircraft with internal wing tanks? Bladder or rigid tanks? This is a feature that's easy to take for granted but it's a pretty significant innovation.

I am not sure what you mean?

Internal tank -- tank mounted within the wing

Integral tank-- tank shell forms part of the structure of the wing or structure of the wing forms the shell of the tank.

some WW I aircraft tanks had tanks mounted in the upper wings and used gravity feed to the engine. Some were even airfoil shaped even if they bulge a bit compared to the rest of the wing.

Either... storing fuel in the wing.
Seems like the wings on most WW1 aircraft were too thin to have tanks inside the wing. Also load balance is absolutely critical on small ww1 planes. When did they have pumps or mechanisms in place to ensure that the left wing used fuel at the same rate as the right wing?

Either... storing fuel in the wing.
Seems like the wings on most WW1 aircraft were too thin to have tanks inside the wing. Also load balance is absolutely critical on small ww1 planes. When did they have pumps or mechanisms in place to ensure that the left wing used fuel at the same rate as the right wing?
If there is proper venting on each wing, they will feed just about evenly. The same set up is still used on Cessna singles. Even if one feeds more than another, the tank holding more fuel will eventually catch up.

The F2A, P-38, 39, and 40 all had wing tanks, the F2A was first to fly, December, 37. I don't know much other aircraft.

Apparently the Hurricane had wing tanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back