Irish Airborne??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Never been there - one day, I'd like to. One of my best mates is a half-Catholic, half-Protestant Irishman from the South who served as an Officer in the British Army. Just thought I'd mention it to confuse the stereotype-believers.

haha - how can you half believe in something??? He may have 1 Catholic parent and 1 protestant parent: but he's gotta either believe in Catholic or Protestant doctrine and teachings or not!

Very true.But in my experience in a mixed marriage the parents find their own path to their childrens religious education. This does not mean the kids half belive in anything.Sadly ,in Ireland, people have turned their backs on organised religion.They belive in designer labels and fast cars.

haha - how can you half believe in something??? He may have 1 Catholic parent and 1 protestant parent: but he's gotta either believe in Catholic or Protestant doctrine and teachings or not!

Mixed background, mate - he's in the Church of England, but his wife is Catholic, and their eldest daughter has just been confirmed in the Catholic Church. Anyway, when all is said and done, it's a bit daft fighting over the 2% of things you disagree about, instead of looking at the 98% of things you share.

Mixed background, mate - he's in the Church of England, but his wife is Catholic, and their eldest daughter has just been confirmed in the Catholic Church. Anyway, when all is said and done, it's a bit daft fighting over the 2% of things you disagree about, instead of looking at the 98% of things you share.

Well the Catholic Church and the Anglican Church are very similar. My uncle married and Episcipalian. Was never too big of a problem... but some of the protestant church here in the US are VERY different from the Catholic Church. I was just kidding and saying that mixed ethnic background doesn't translate into mixed beliefs - half believing in something is rather oxymoronic... like people who say they're half jewish and half christian...

There is one religious group in the states that I really dislike..I saw them on telly ,at their services they use snakes, live snakes. Feckin things give me the hebbie gebbies. I can not recall the groups name.Sitting with snakes in church would make me feel closer to my maker thats for sure. No offence ment ,but god help us .....SNAKES .

Practically identical in fact. The Church of England (Anglican) is pretty much Catholicism without the Latin or the Rosary beads.

Oh, and the priests are allowed to marry. Cool, eh? ;)

You know - there's some provision in canon law allowing anglican priests to convert to the catholic church and become catholic priests. Earlier this year an anglican priest joined the catholic church... and he was married!

I have heard of a widower who had five or six grown children becoming a priest here.But married priests are not allowed in the catholic church .

I have heard of a widower who had five or six grown children becoming a priest here.But married priests are not allowed in the catholic church .

I tried finding the case I was speaking of, but couldn't. All I found was this.

Annunciations

That case in canon law does allow an already married anglican priest to become a catholic priest... even though he is married. That may be the only way that a priest can be married in the Catholic Church.

I find it hard to belive what you say is true........Double standards in the catholic church.....It's SO hard to belive.

And that, my son, is part of the 2%. Nothing biblical in it! (Ducks down and runs for cover while the RC members pelt him with tomatoes - tinned ones!)

We R.c,s do not pelt people with tinned tomatoes anymore That is SO LAST YEAR, we use only organic fresh produce now.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it a bit ripe, marriage advice from someone who is a priest precisely because of the type of character it seems to attract. A sort of very personable loner. Not what marriage is really about...

I think it a bit ripe, marriage advice from someone who is a priest precisely because of the type of character it seems to attract. A sort of very personable loner. Not what marriage is really about...

You cannot fairly group Catholic priests as "personable loners." I'm guessing you're not Catholic, and haven't spent much time w/ the clergy because you would find that to be an unfair judgment.

To true mkloby.It is grossly unfair to generalise.I know a few priests who are genuine ,decent people who do their best for people.They do a very difficult job with little or no thanks from from people.A lot of people are openly hostile to them,because of the actions of a terrible group within the church and the criminal cover-ups of the higherarchie.Not a calling for the faint hearted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back