Soren said:
Enhancement to help you see what is there is totally different from creating or altering the document to show something that is not there.
Yes, but how could i know your werent doing the same with other documents, as your little "Roll-chart-modifycation" looked very convincing ?
If I had not presented the unmodified version first, I think you would have a point. But given that I did, I think it was clear the "modification" was only to help you read it.
Soren said:
And I told you right off where it was from - the P-51 Pilot Handbook.
But no link !!! Eventhough you had it, and that was where you got it from.
When the source is a publically available published document, no "link" is necessary. A sufficient number of people have access to such documents to ensure that any hanky-panky with the content will likely be caught.
I didn't want to provide a link to RING's PRO Documents until I'd downloaded most of what is on that site. It's gone down for months in the past, no telling when it might go down again, and I didn't want to temp the fates by having a bunch of people downloading it and possibly eating up the available bandwidth. This way, if it does go down and RING says he does not intend to put it back up, I can make the non-copywrited info available, and preserve the availablility of this valuable information.
Soren said:
Your "apology" was half hearted at best, and the accusation of falsifying documents is not insignificant.
And again I ask you, how the ¤%#% can you know if it was a half hearted or whole hearted apology ?!
That's how it appeared to me. Being that I'm the offended party, I decide how sincere I feel the apology is.
Soren said:
Being accused of being another person isnt insignificant either ! And if you think you can back out of it just by saying it was a joke, then your mistaken.
If you could not see the humor in my comment... I don't know what to say. Honestly, I just intended it to be funny, and I thought it was. I'm truely sorry you didn't take it that way.
Soren said:
I've not been able to find one from a reliable primary source.
RG you claimed that "300 mph" was written on the "Fourth Fighter group site", wich it wasnt !
I'm sure it's there somewhere.
Soren said:
However, I've never seen a cruise figure for the Spitfire XIV above 325 mph, except your one fan site which does not give a reference for the data. I'm sorry, but fansite claims are not sufficient
RG, the book "British Warplanes of WW2" says the same !
What exactly does it say? Does it give a time limit for such a speed? Does it give a date for the figures - post-war Spitfires were upgraded with new nozzle technology allowing faster cruises.
I'm not saying it isn't possible, just that so far I've not seen a credible source that indicates a faster than about 325 mph sustained cruise for any wartime Spitfire.
Soren said:
- how do you know that site is not created by some 13 year old kid who just wants the Spitfire to have been the hands down best fighter or WWII and does not understand the importance of verifying such information before presenting it as fact on the web?
RG how do you know that about any site ?
Well, some sites are .mil sites, some are aircraft manufacturers, some are museum sites, some are from respected authors (such as T. Williams) - we know something about the credibility of such sources. Some, such as the fourth-fighter-group or RING's PRO Research site provide primary source documents in the raw, which are very credible. Others provide references for the information presented, which again makes them more credible.
But a site that simply puts up data with no references... well we just don't really know. And sometimes they are presenting known wrong data - Francillon's error concering the Ki-44 mounting Ho-103's is a good example, it can be found on many sites, often w/o reference.
=S=
Lunatic