Is Spitfire really the BEST British fighter???

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have read that the 109G could overheat from sitting at fly on ground for too long on really hot days. Whether this is true or not I do not know. Anyone know?

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
I have read that the 109G could overheat from sitting at fly on ground for too long on really hot days. Whether this is true or not I do not know. Anyone know?

Actually any recip could overheat at idle on the ground on a hot day!

From this statement I understand that you cannot apply MW-50 for long periods at full power.

I think you can, provided the engine doesn't get too hot. And to stop it getting too hot you have to open the radiators more, which means you can't go as fast.

In other words, the German speed figures can only be achieved for short periods. Even if you can run at the required power settings for longer, you have to open the radiators to do so, and the published German speed figures are usually obtained with both maximum power and closed radiators.

FLYBOYJ said:

That is what I always though atleast. So did the 109G overheat quicker than others or is this just a statement about a 109G.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
FLYBOYJ said:

That is what I always though atleast. So did the 109G overheat quicker than others or is this just a statement about a 109G.

I never heard that the -109 overheated quicker (or later) than allied contemporaries. :rolleyes:

The Bf-109G/K had some issues that should be taken into account when comparing to the Spitfire. By the end of the war the materials and productiom standards were becoming poorer:

Another point to consider here is the following; the K-4 may have been the latest variant of the venerable 109 but it was above all a product of Germany's late-war industry ..with all the associated quality control problems.. accounts from pilots who flew K-4s in late April 1945 list an array of defects..aircraft poorly trimmed, instruments incorrectly calibrated, no oxygen and no master compass... With chaos reigning as Hartmann's unit fell back before the Russians is it likely that he would take off in an aircraft that would potentially let him down....but of course we'll never know...

http://members.aol.com/falkeeins/Sturmgruppen/hartmann.html

The second issue is maneouvrability; at high speeds the late G and K had improved over previous versions but at medium and low regimes it was worse.

It would be nice if somebody can provide more data on these issues.

Regards.

All I can say on the subject of cooking is on the WT at the Duxford's spring show after 9 minutes sitting at the ready on the runway all three spites started to complain that they needed to get in the air as the engines were getting too warm, Two Merlins and one Griffon

Hello
Quote from Dave Southwood, ex Black 6 display pilot on 109 engine overheating on ground: " in this respect it is at least as bad as a Mk IX Spitfire"

Juha

Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread, if there is new information, or some other good reason for it. I think many of us when we first joined these forums, found an old discussion that we were interested in and had further information to add.

On the other hand, reading through multiple old threads and then replying to each of them with a short comment, is really a form of flooding.

I believe that was the reason for the instruction to stop bumping old threads.

Claidemore

PS. Ironically, every time we respond to this particular old dead thread, we are guilty of bumping it one more time! :)

Why? Some old subjects could be interesting enough to revive for newer members. If it shouldn't be revived, it should be closed, I think.

It is not that it shouldn't be revived. If there is something interesting to be added then by all means add it. It is the bumping of old threads with pointless and relatively meaningless comments which add nothing to the discussion that annoy both Joe and I.

Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread, if there is new information, or some other good reason for it. I think many of us when we first joined these forums, found an old discussion that we were interested in and had further information to add.

On the other hand, reading through multiple old threads and then replying to each of them with a short comment, is really a form of flooding.

I believe that was the reason for the instruction to stop bumping old threads.

Claidemore

PS. Ironically, every time we respond to this particular old dead thread, we are guilty of bumping it one more time! :)

Exactly Claidemore. And yes we should stop bumping it unless someone has an interesting tidbit to provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back