Gemhorse
Senior Airman
Udet made one point I'd forgotten, the Bf-109E had the advantage of fuel injection over the Spitfire's more conventional carburettor, which did make a difference; I recall reading RAF pilots commenting on that during the BoB...
Also, one other point that wasn't really about combat, was the Bf's shocking undercarriage set-up, which was responsible for many landing accidents...Willi never really got that sorted-out....- In the same context, the Spit's wasn't that great either, both the Hurricane and Fw-190 had a distinct advantage with their wider-track undercarts. These factors did played a part in the various theatres these aircraft flew in, in terms of 'hardiness' and Sqn. readiness......Finally, the Seafires' biggest problem was also the undercart, many were lost because of failed landings....When you add-up the extra work that went into these repairs, it did effect Sqn./Geschwader aircraft readiness figures....[Just thought I'd mention that.........]
Gemhorse
Also, one other point that wasn't really about combat, was the Bf's shocking undercarriage set-up, which was responsible for many landing accidents...Willi never really got that sorted-out....- In the same context, the Spit's wasn't that great either, both the Hurricane and Fw-190 had a distinct advantage with their wider-track undercarts. These factors did played a part in the various theatres these aircraft flew in, in terms of 'hardiness' and Sqn. readiness......Finally, the Seafires' biggest problem was also the undercart, many were lost because of failed landings....When you add-up the extra work that went into these repairs, it did effect Sqn./Geschwader aircraft readiness figures....[Just thought I'd mention that.........]
Gemhorse