Is Spitfire really the BEST British fighter???

Depends on the Aircraft. The Spitfire and the Bf-109 and Fw-190A stayed pretty close to each other on performance, the Fw-190D and Ta-152 overtook the Spitfire pretty much on performance. There were actually a lot of aircraft that would outperform a Spitfire but they were not built in large numbers to make any difference.
 
Yes, I have been involved in many discussions regarding the Bf-109G-10/K-4 vs Spitfires Mk XIV/21. I was surprised to read some facts I didn't know, for example the MW-50 limitations and cooling systems of P-51, Bf-109 and Spitfire. However, when I came accross the Bf-109 dara things didn't make that much sense. If the spitfire cooling is better, how comes it has a lower maximum cruising speed?

On the other hand I think that data should be taken with caution. The cruise velocities for a G-2 were much lower (I checked on the manual).
 
alejandro_ said:
Yes, I have been involved in many discussions regarding the Bf-109G-10/K-4 vs Spitfires Mk XIV/21. I was surprised to read some facts I didn't know, for example the MW-50 limitations and cooling systems of P-51, Bf-109 and Spitfire. However, when I came accross the Bf-109 dara things didn't make that much sense. If the spitfire cooling is better, how comes it has a lower maximum cruising speed?

On the other hand I think that data should be taken with caution. The cruise velocities for a G-2 were much lower (I checked on the manual).

Maximum cruising speed for the Spitfire and the Bf109's (late G models and K) were about 375 mph at high altitude, which is about the same. In both cases, the maximum time such a cruise could be maintained was somewhat limited, the term "cruise" <usually> refers to operating in the lean fuel setting more than the ability to sustain such speeds for extended periods. Niether plane could really sustain such a cruise for more than 20-30 minutes as that was the limit of their fuel anyway (cruise speeds are substantially lower with an external tank). Sustainable cruise speeds were more in the 330 mph range.

=S=

Lunatic
 
Agreed to this post. Perforamance whise the Spits and the 109s were closer than a lot of people think. Each had its own advantages and disadvantages though.
 
Yes, the data I found didn't make any reference to the conditions for these speeds to be achieved.

Lunatic

I noticed that in some of your posts you refer to the MW-50, saying that it is only used in climb for extended. According to many sources, the Bf-109 pilots would escape on a dive making use of it. I had never heard about the 2 minuts limitations when operating at high speeds. Also, it was not recommended follow the Bf-109 in a dive at less than 3000 meters. The tests posted in another thread specified that the elevators had to be trimmed, but I don't know how this would affect the combat performance. Seconds needed to prepare the elevator? pilot attention to the controls?

Finally, you have any more info regarding the use of WEP for more than 5 minutes in the Mustang and late Spitfire?

Regards.
 
I concur with what you just wrote. I too have never seen anything saying that a 109 would overheat after 2 min of run time. Maybe Erich who Falkeinz would have some info on this.
 
Early 109s using MW boost had a low time limit of usage.
 
DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Yeah but that the engine would overheat after 2 minutes?

Power adders, like these, can cause local overheating, 2 minutes is not unreasonable. Consider power adders are by definition almost always beyond the original design of the basic engine/cooling system.

wmaxt
 
Krazinuk

Early 109s using MW boost had a low time limit of usage.

Any more info? I am really curious about this issue because I had never come across this problems and many people I have argued with point it out as a major advantage versus Spitfire XIV or P-51D.

Regards.
 
MW-50 was usually limited at 10min, I don't know where this 2min figure has derived from.

And in comparison to the Bf-109K-4`s 10 minute limitation of running at maximum power, the Griffon 65 engine of the Spitfire XIV was limited to mere 5 minutes of running at maximum power.

Also the 109K-4 had a max continuous cruise speed of 400mph, and it was NOT limited. For the lowest possible fuel consumption, this figure would offcourse be lower.
 
Soren said:
MW-50 was usually limited at 10min, I don't know where this 2min figure has derived from.

And in comparison to the Bf-109K-4`s 10 minute limitation of running at maximum power, the Griffon 65 engine of the Spitfire XIV was limited to mere 5 minutes of running at maximum power.

Also the 109K-4 had a max continuous cruise speed of 400mph, and it was NOT limited. For the lowest possible fuel consumption, this figure would offcourse be lower.

Two minutes was the maximum time the 109G6 was capable of full power operation in level flight, according to the Soviets. Yes MW50 could be used for 10 minutes - in a climb. However, at full level speed overheating became an issue. I'm not sure if this was resolved or not in later 109G and K models. Actually, I believe the 109K had enough MW50 for four 10 minute WEP sessions, with 5 minutes at normal power being required between sessions?

The 5 minute limit on the Griffion (and Merlin) was really just a manufacture recommendation - there was no limit to its use. There were many cases where pilots exceeded this by a large margin. I think there is a pilot quote where he was running from the Germans and said he'd been at WEP for 10 minutes and wasn't about to back off the throttle.

Actually the figure I've seen for the 109K-4 is 390 mph max continous cruise, but it could only maintain that speed for about 20 minutes before running out of fuel (after climbing, dropping ext tank, and leaving enough to land). And to get that cruise speed it had to be high (thinner boundary layer and colder air). To get it's 45 minutes of patrol time (after dropping tank) it needed to cruise much slower. The 390 mph cruise is done at a relatively rich setting - German fuel was not so bad in the rich condition, but it was really poor in the lean condition.

=S=

Lunatic
 
Two minutes was the maximum time the 109G6 was capable of full power operation in level flight, according to the Soviets.

Seriusly would you rely on Soviet data for any U.S. a/c ? no. :wink:


Yes MW50 could be used for 10 minutes - in a climb. However, at full level speed overheating became an issue. I'm not sure if this was resolved or not in later 109G and K models.

Must have been, cause the 109K-4 "Handbuch" mentions NO such limits at all.

Actually, I believe the 109K had enough MW50 for four 10 minute WEP sessions, with 5 minutes at normal power being required between sessions?

Four 10min sessions ?! :shock:

No it was only 2½ 10min sessions im afraid :) The 109K-4 carried 26min worth of MW-50 fuel. (75 L.)

Actually the figure I've seen for the 109K-4 is 390 mph max continous cruise, but it could only maintain that speed for about 20 minutes before running out of fuel (after climbing, dropping ext tank, and leaving enough to land). And to get that cruise speed it had to be high (thinner boundary layer and colder air). To get it's 45 minutes of patrol time (after dropping tank) it needed to cruise much slower. The 390 mph cruise is done at a relatively rich setting - German fuel was not so bad in the rich condition, but it was really poor in the lean condition.

:scratch: And just where did you acquire these figures ?
 
Im not sure. I am not saying that it would not overheat at 2 min. I just have not heard it. I am up for grabs on this one.
 
I don't know what the limits are either, The P-51s and P-38J/Ls had extreamly efficient cooling systems even to the point they offset a portion of their drag. The P-51 with it's larger plenum was the best system but in some circumstances it still wasn't enough. The 5min max for Allied aircraft was more to avoid overstressing the engine than anything else, in a fight it was ignored.

In the late model German fighters I don't know but restrictions become much less important your desperate, airframe life is minimal, your right over your home field and you have more planes than qualified pilots. Then again those engines were built good enough there almost impossible to reproduce today.

wmaxt
 
Remember cooling is as much to do with the radiators as it is engine power. Just because MW 50 use was permitted for 10 minutes doesn't mean the radiators could cope for that long.

AFAIK, the Germans did speed tests used closed radiators. With closed radiators, cooling is minimal, and the engine will overheat quickly.

So MW 50 might have been useable for 10 minutes, but after a short period you'd have to open the radiators, which would slow down the plane.

Spitfires could not fully close their radiators, they were always at least half open, so cooling (on the VIII/IX at least) was always sufficient.

I believe most Mustang speed figures are also done with partially open radiators, a British test of a Mustang IV (P-51D) at 25 lbs boost notes cooling at the "normal" setting of 7.25" was inadequate, and 8.5" was used instead.

Finally, you have any more info regarding the use of WEP for more than 5 minutes in the Mustang and late Spitfire?

There's this from US instructions to P-51 pilots:

"It is often asked what the consequences will be if the 5-minute limit at Take-off Power is exceeded. Another frequent inquiry is how long a period must be allowed after the specified time limit has elapsed until Take-off Power can be used. These questions are difficult to answer, since the time limit specified does not mean that engine damage will occur if the limit is exceeded. Instead, the limit means that the total operating time at high power should be kept to a reasonable minimum in the interest of prolonging engine life.

It is generally accepted that high-power operation of an engine results in increased wear and necessitates more frequent overhaul than low-power operation. However, it is apparent that a certain percentage of operating time must be at full power. The engine manufacturer allows for this in qualification tests in which much of the running is done at Take-off Power to prove ability to withstand the resulting loads. It is established in these runs that the engine will handle sustained high power without damage. Nevertheless, it is still the aim of the manufacturer and to the best interest of the pilot to keep within reasonable values the amount of high-power time accumulated in the field. The most satisfactory method for accomplishing this is to establish time limits that will keep pilots constantly aware of the desire to hold high-power periods to the shortest period that the flight plan will allow, so that the total accumulated time and resulting wear can be kept to a minimum. How the time at high power is accumulated is of secondary importance; i.e., it is no worse from the standpoint of engine wear to operate at Take-off Power for one hour straight than it is to operate in twelve 5-minute stretches, provided engine temperatures and pressures are within limits. In fact, the former procedure may even be preferable, as it eliminates temperature cycles which also promote engine wear. Thus if flight conditions occasionally require exceeding time limits, this should not cause concern so long as constant effort is made to keep the over-all time at Take-off Power to the minimum practicable. "

However, when I came accross the Bf-109 dara things didn't make that much sense. If the spitfire cooling is better, how comes it has a lower maximum cruising speed?

It didn't.

The problem is the definition of "cruise" can be very different to different people. The Spitfire LF VIII (basically the same as the IX, slightly heavier, but retracting tail wheel) had a speed of 386 mph at it's 1 hour rating, ie it could maintain 386 mph for an hour. (and the amount of fuel used at that speed means it wouldn't have had sufficient fuel to maintain that speed for an hour)

On the other hand I think that data should be taken with caution. The cruise velocities for a G-2 were much lower (I checked on the manual).

Cruise is normally a setting designed to balance speed with range, these high cruise figures are the fastest it's possible to maintain for a considerable period, and not by any stretch of the term "normal".

Depends on the Aircraft. The Spitfire and the Bf-109 and Fw-190A stayed pretty close to each other on performance, the Fw-190D and Ta-152 overtook the Spitfire pretty much on performance.

The Spitfire was both faster and had a better climb rate than the 190D. Only at extreme altitudes, above 30,000ft, did the handfull of Ta 152s built outperform the Spitfire XIV. Below that the Spitfire was faster with a higher climb rate. The Ta 152 was really a specialist aircraft designed to operate at extreme altitude, it's performance at the actual altitudes combat was taking place at was no more than average by 1944 standards.
 
Hop

Thank you for that info on the P-51 engine WEP. I assume the conditions would be similar for the Griffon engines in the Spitfires.

Remember cooling is as much to do with the radiators as it is engine power. Just because MW 50 use was permitted for 10 minutes doesn't mean the radiators could cope for that long



From this statement I understand that you cannot apply MW-50 for long periods at full power. Do you have any german data for this point? the only place were I read about the engine overheating were soviet tests, and the model tested was a G-6, which didn't have MW-50 -the G-6 with it was named G-6/AS-.

Regards.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back