Is the Mustang really that great?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

eddie_brunette

Senior Airman
Oct 17, 2007
Nelspruit, Mpumalanga
Hi all

was wondering last night while playing "Legend of Y-29" campiagn, if the mustang were really such a good dogfigter? especially down low.

I personally think a p38 or a p40(if flown clever) will kick its but down low, the acceleration is woefull :(

Your views?

Please note that i play at full realism settings with all goodies( trim wheels, extended joystic, rudder pedals)

oko maybe a touchy subject, but even more confusing...why is the Mustang MkIII so much better than the P51-D (my point) its is the same airframe?
Well sort of.

The Mustang III was the P-51B/C, the razor back model.

In Il-2 the Mustang III has 25lb boost, while the P-51D only has 18lb boost.

Apparently the Mustang III with the Malcolm hood was prefered by many who flew it over the later bubble top Mustang. It was supposed to be faster and with better handling. It's probably an aerodynamics issue as well as the extra power.

I think the p51 is overrated. The f4u is much better.

agreed! the only plus for a mustang is range.

Set up a dogfight between a p51 and a p38. down low the p38 completly OUTCLASSES the p51, and at high altitutes it holds it own very well.

i think the thing that annoys me the most of the p51, is the tendacy to spin, actually i hate the damn plane:lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually think that if you keep it flying at the right speed it comes into its own.
High up and against Bf109K's it will hold its own. The later flight model in IL2 has made it easier to fly...

I sure had fun with it during my campaign building days when I made a Y-29 story. Here it is.

I actually think that if you keep it flying at the right speed it comes into its own.
High up and against Bf109K's it will hold its own. The later flight model in IL2 has made it easier to fly...

I sure had fun with it during my campaign building days when I made a Y-29 story. Here it is.

Oh yes, i'm playin your campaign, very nice thanks,

BTW Happy 2008 for all

i thank the p 47 was better down low were the p 51 was better up hi
the p38 was good in the medum to low and with better firepower
and the p47 had better fire power then the p 51

i couldnt fly the p 51 it seemed to spin every time i threw it into turn !
had to be really carefull if i ended up flying it in the campaigns didnt seem to great to me

:p :p :p yip they like their car brothers...fast in straight suck at turning....

last night i've set up an all aces quickmission at 1000m:

16 P40m vs 16 P51d NA

Guess what: the ai shot down 9 P51, me shot down 2...end result, 11 p51 shot down for the loss of 7 p40 :p :p :p

IMO the p51 was not a good dogfighter, only good at B&Z and any plane is good when it outnumbers the enemy by 20 to 1

if there was 20 me109's for 20 p51's.............

Well, the Mustang is great at higher speeds or altitudes, or both. And I don't think many flight sims can honestly get close to reality. I mean, I once shot down a plane while flying a Buffalo with the rudder ripped off. (I have the picture to prove I flew without the rudder, too) And the Mustang, despite my preference to Hellcats and Corsairs over the over-hyped Mustang, was a good plane. But honestly, I think the Corsair outperformed it in nearly every aspect. On top of that, Thunderbolts should've served in Korea, not Mustangs.

The Mustang didn't have a major range advantage over the F4U, the real advantage (over the P-47 and P-38 as well) was high cruising speed and low fuel consumption, and low cost. (it also had alt performance over the pre F4U-4)

If the F4U had been developed more with long range in mind it would have kept the F4U-1A's wing tanks (and probably added self sealing to them, instead of just CO2 purge) And with 2x 152 gal tanks, plus 178 gal tanks and 356 gal internal, 'yardstick' range would be excelent and radius very good. (cruise speed still lower than the P-51)

for a continuing discussion: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/battle-over-germany-january-1944-a-13336.html

Well, the Mustang is great at higher speeds or altitudes, or both. And I don't think many flight sims can honestly get close to reality. I mean, I once shot down a plane while flying a Buffalo with the rudder ripped off. (I have the picture to prove I flew without the rudder, too) And the Mustang, despite my preference to Hellcats and Corsairs over the over-hyped Mustang, was a good plane. But honestly, I think the Corsair outperformed it in nearly every aspect. On top of that, Thunderbolts should've served in Korea, not Mustangs.

Yeah:!: :!: :!: Even Lightnings would be better. All the books I've read about SAAF pilots in Korea, most of the F51 jocks died flying into the ground :(

i thank the p 47 was better down low were the p 51 was better up hi
the p38 was good in the medum to low and with better firepower
and the p47 had better fire power then the p 51

And the P-47 isn't better down low, neither the P-47 or P-51 are especially good at low alt compared to contempories. (the 190, 109, and Corsair had advantages below 18,000 ft, though the P-51 was good in speed at low alt too) The P-38 is good all around, except for compressibility dives, and then with dive flaps, it's ok.

The reason the P-47 made a better ground attack plane was the much higher damage resistance.

And the P-51 is more maneuverable than most contemporary P-47's in similar load-out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back