Is this Luftwaffe Blue Paint on this?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

3pinplug

Airman
Sep 30, 2018
Hi all

Been posting a few bits and pieces and the response on ere has been great, really appreciate the brilliant responses I have received.

One of the last items I have is shown in the pics, it looks like it was originally that blue in colour that I have seen on the underside fo some Luftwaffe planes, it was found on an old WWII German luftwaffe base, when cleaning i couldnt see any numbers but it looks like some sort of sendor / electrical monitoring device but with the colour blue on it I was wonderingif anyone familiar with planes parts recognisaes what it is and whether it is one?
It looks to have a gasket and even part of what it joined two (possibly) still attached to it, you can see that in the pics.
Thanks
Mark
item1.jpg
item1a.jpg
item1b.jpg
item1c.jpg
item1d.jpg

Blue was also used as a colour code on oxygen and air system system parts. The blue you have there is brighter than what I would expect for the underside camouflage. That said I think the blue on oxygen and air systems might have been darker though variations may have existed.

Ok many thanks will have a look at oxygen systems and see if any of the parts look like this.

The blue on here and the bit look similar, could it be part of the wheel hydraulic system?
E626E31F-3614-4D2E-A058-6910DE11B042.png
1843C6EE-9312-42D4-9DE0-A4A3F9EE38E0.png

The colour on that part is close to RLM 65, which was much bluer than many modern representations make it. That does not mean that it is RLM 65, but it could be.

Hi Graugeist,
Many thanks for the colour chart, it does look like the colour seems to fall into the RLM65 range. This would seem to point to what U can see to it bring an underside part, it has the remains of a gasket and part of the face ofvthr piece it joined to. There is a pin / contact in the center and what looks like a brass pin that protrudes either side of the housing. Being it has a gasket i am thinkng that either:-
Water
Oil
Petrol
Hydraulic fluid
Passed through this item and with what looks like electrical connections at the top it was possibly a sensor but after searching and searching nothing yet. The airfield i found it on was used by both Ju52 transports and fighters but not seen anything that resembles it.
Hope this may help someone with a further pointer they can give me.
Many thanks
Mark

Why assume that it's an aircraft part? Could just as easily be part of some type of service equipment. I wouldn't make the leap that just because it features blue paint that MIGHT resemble RLM65 (I persnally still think that its far too blue) that it must come from the underside of an aircraft.

Hi General
Was only assuming plane as found it on an old wwii luftwaffe airfield and subsequently it did look a pretty good match to the pic of that planes landing gear and the RLM65 colour chart kindly posted.That aside no idea what it is off, still hoping someone on here may have seen this somewhere, what sort of service equipment are you thnking of as another avenue to explore? Being gasketed its got to be holding something back but all avenues a blank so far.

Last edited:
Oxygen supply cart/vehicle maybe? I don't know but all I'm saying is that an airfield has all kinds of support vehicles - power carts, fuel trucks, O2 vehicles, etc.... Not to mention fixed assets like dispersals, barracks, maintenance shops.........all of which could have mechanical equipment in them. If the part was found on an airfield then it could be from anything, not just limited to aircraft. Without a part number, it's pretty hard to nail this down if no-one recognizes it from the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back