Israel vs Hamas Conflict 2023

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this in my feed --

The Israeli military said Sunday that it is still battling Hamas militants in several Israeli communities a day after they broke through and flew over the Gaza border to launch an unprecedented wave of attacks.

Israeli media report that more than 600 Israeli civilians, including women and children, and soldiers were killed in the surprise attack with more than 1,800 injured.

In response, Israel has conducted hundreds of air strikes on the Gaza Strip – hitting apartment buildings and Hamas members' homes. Officials say more than 300 Palestinians have been killed, including children, and more than 2,000 have been injured. Pictures show rubble surrounding a mosque that was destroyed in an Israeli air strike in Khan Younis in the Gaza strip. Seven Palestinians were also reported killed in the West Bank.

Israel says it is still battling militants in several communities inside its borders. It says Hamas fighters came in from some 29 points from Gaza to attack towns and military bases. The military confirms that Israelis were taken hostage back to Gaza but has not said how many.

[...]

Early Saturday, at 6:30 a.m. local time, Palestinian militants launched a large-scale surprise attack from the blockaded Gaza Strip on civilian and military targets in Israel. They infiltrated using paragliders, an amphibious operation on the Mediterranean Sea, and on land, Israeli military spokesman Richard Hecht told reporters.

I had no idea Israeli casualties were that high, the last I'd heard last night was about 300.

Nothing changes: San Francisco Chronicle, February 25, 1970

SFC700225.jpg

(transferred my post from the Ukraine thread)

The Hamas cannot manufacture their own rockets to any degree, so at some point the Israelis will find out who made them and where they are coming from (there were well over a thousand fired in the first couple of hours, and more are being fired every hour though in smaller amounts - the total is estimated at over 3500 so far [as of 0130 CDT in the US]).

Also, Hamas cannot win in any kind of a military sense - and that means they are waiting for something else to happen.

There's a lot of grievance on both sides here.

And a lot of the grievance is justified on both sides. I am no lover of the Palestinians but when Israelis enter Palestinian owned land, squat on it and then the government steals it and gives it to the squatters that is always going to cause problems.

How would you react if that land was your land and had been in your family- usually for generations.

That said I generally support the Israelis.

It appears that the Israelis got caught out be depending too much on electronic intelligence. Anyone with half a brain knows that snail mail and personal meetings with no electronic records will never be picked up by elint.

It appears the Palestinians realised this and used the old ww2 and earlier partisans methods of spreading information. Word of mouth to a small group who each word up other small groups.

Also, Hamas cannot win in any kind of a military sense - and that means they are waiting for something else to happen.
It can achieve early military wins if the IDF is unprepared. Prior to Saturday's attacks, a lot of Israelis have been refusing to appear for their military service as part of protests against domestic politics. The success of conventional attacks on Israeli villages near Gaza suggests that the civilians there were left undefended.

And a lot of the grievance is justified on both sides. I am no lover of the Palestinians but when Israelis enter Palestinian owned land, squat on it and then the government steals it and gives it to the squatters that is always going to cause problems.

How would you react if that land was your land and had been in your family- usually for generations.

That said I generally support the Israelis.
I'm reminded of a story I heard from my first wife who lived in Beirut for a few years in the late '50s.
"A duck was preparing to cross the Suez Canal when a scorpion approached him and pleaded to be taken across on the duck's back.The kind- hearted duck finally agreed and took the scorpion on his back and started swimming across. Halfway across the Canal, the scorpion stung the duck. "Why did you do that?" the duck asked- "now we are BOTH going to die!" the scorpion replied... well, ...because this is the Middle East."

In this particular case, certainly, from my view. But until words replace bullets, this ulcer will continue to run. How long is too long?
Just words are what have brought us to this point. I remember seeing a tee-shirt many years ago that was emblazoned with the words "Kill 'em all- let God sort 'em out!" I'm afraid this is not a far-fetched reaction to what the Iranians, Palestinians, Hamas, Hezbollah and others have perpetrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back