Italian Bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ralphwiggum

Airman
Mar 15, 2008
One:greenjumpers:One aircraft I've hardly heard of is the Fiat BR20 bomber
Can you folks give me any info on it's strengths and weaknesses and where it served?

Fiat BR 20, Profile Publications No 110
Fiat BR 20M, Monografie Aeronautiche Italiane No 118
Italian Aircraft of World War II, Squadron/Signal Publications
Regia Aeronautica vol. 1: 1940-43, Squadron/Signal Publications
Bombardieri - Regia Aeronautica, Dimensione Cielo 04
Italian Civil Military Aircraft 1939-1945

According to Flight in 1940, it was roughly equal to the Vickers Wellington. Never checked that out for myself though and I just seem to have settled on that comparison.

One:greenjumpers:One aircraft I've hardly heard of is the Fiat BR20 bomber
Can you folks give me any info on it's strengths

Solid construction plane, didn't have stability problems during flight, wasn't subject to autotailspins, telegraphic system for communications (better than nothing....)

and weaknesses

Slow despite of the 3 Fiat engines, no radar, no blind and bad weather flight instruments, obsolete bombs pointig system, unsufficient defensive weapons, late radio system

and where it served?

Most in France and Greece. And during the Battle of Britain. There are pics of Br20 shoot down on british soil. Like this one .....
Suddenly almost dismissed in favor of the CantZ1007

Hope it helps

Attachments

• WH2-1RAF028a(h280).jpg
    WH2-1RAF028a(h280).jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited by a moderator:
The BR 20 had two engines, not three. Some also operated with the Japanese in red sun markings

I have a Hispano-Suiza engine valve (in working order), which an Uncle pinched as a kid from one of the BR 20's brought down in the Battle of Britain... (currently on loan to the Museum of Aviation in Paraparaumu, New Zealand)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back