It's ALREADY Time To Re-Engine The F-35? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is a bunch of political posturing about the Adaptive Cycle Engine/Adaptive Engine Transition Program - because it could lead to Pratt & Whitney losing the contract for F-35 engines after about 2029/2030 and potentially being replaced by GE Aviation. So, there's lots of mudslinging and scaremongering going on about F-35 engines at present, who has a better new engine for the aircraft and who is going to get to power future F-35s.

Some 'think tank' also came out about 12 months ago saying that the new engine was a waste of money and that P&W just needs to do a better job on the engine it's already making. The former is BS, the latter is (unfortunately) true, for a couple of reasons:

Firstly, COVID-19 supply chain induced disruption has stuffed up part/module supply for engines, resulting in a lot of F-35s being grounded due to engine issues/lack of available engines. This is not just an F-35 issue, nor is it just an American issue (supply chain disruption has lowered military jet engine production globally). However, the F35 is currently the world's most produced fighter jet, so its most impacted by these issues. Things are improving now stuff its getting back to normal, but it was a real eye opener in terms of military supply chains.

Secondly, Pratt & Whitney made some very odd design choices when it came to engine ancillaries, which made it difficult/time consuming to replace certain parts. (Very untypical of US engine designs, almost as if they had the English or the Italians doing some design work.) For instance, there's an engine speed sensor that has an installation path that leads to it getting damaged. If it gets damaged, this can lead to an oil leak and other issues with the engine. But, installing a replacement when the engine is in an F35 requires such lot of work that its easier to replace the whole engine module.

Thirdly, Pratt stuffed up its spare parts forecasting. F135 engines are chewing though line replaceable components about 1/3rd faster than expectations and Pratt has not had the production capability to increase output. Some of the components also aren't as reliable as expected, which has excerbated the problems. And, Pratt hasn't hired enough maintenance staff, leading to further backlogs to install replaceable components.

Finally, the F-35B is throwing stuff out of wack. The F-35A and F-35C are close to meeting their serviceability goals (three out of five targets are being exceeded, one is just short of being met, and one is at about a third of where it should be). For the F-35B, its only exceeding one serviceability goal, just failing one other and absolutely tanking on three.

This is a bunch of political posturing about the Adaptive Cycle Engine/Adaptive Engine Transition Program - because it could lead to Pratt & Whitney losing the contract for F-35 engines after about 2029/2030 and potentially being replaced by GE Aviation.
I knew many people who worked on the X-35 and there was a GE/ Pratt battle going on during development. GE wanted "in" from the get-go as they were teamed with Rolls Royce (would have further enhanced the British influence on the "team") and I believe around 2003/4 they came to the table with a competing engine (F136, IIRC). I've also heard many rumors about Pratt not delivering needed parts from people working at Fort Worth and Palmdale.

For Flyboy's memory:

IMG_6487 copy.jpg

IMG_6488 copy.jpg

Well, it is all about a raid on the US Treasury. Saw plenty of that when I was at the Pentagon. $30M of USAF money to improve facilities at the Univ of Alaska that the USAF did not need. $3M of USAF money to pay for the Florida Solar Energy Center and $10M to pay for Government-Industry Dual Use Space Launch Facilities. $100M for GD's Single Engine Centaur brainfart. A program to enable the Red Chinese to launch US made satellites in competition with our own industry. And so on and so on. I killed every one of those that I could.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back