Japan and Japanese (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Various US manufacturers and a couple of government agencies began talking about hydrogen powered vehicles at about the same time (ie 20-25 years ago, but as in Australia nothing came of it, at least not as far as commercial applications go.

My understanding is that the infrastructure needed was the main practical/mechanical obstacle. The hydrogen generating centers, the transportation network, and the local storage facilities, and the refueling systems, were all doable to a degree, but the cost was not compatible with where we were at the time. In effect, there would have to be hydrogen cracking planes/suppliers, transporters, and end refueling stations, that would all have to be run on speculation (economically) to get it going. The only serious practical/mechanical obstacles that I am aware of were the transportation, and local storage/refueling and refueling system safety concern.

The other obstacle was/is the oil lobby.

It will be interesting to see if Japan can do it.

Question for Shinpachi:

In Japan is there anything similar to the oil lobby here in the US?

I like the idea of hydrogen powered vehicles. To my unknowledgeable mind it would seem easier to set up hydrogen refueling networks than electric. I'm guessing it would be closer to already existing petro networks and take less time to gas up than to recharge. I fear that electric charging stations might turn into impromptu parking spots. "I'll go grab a cuppa while the car is charging." leaving others to "burn electrons" whilst looking for an available charger.

Fortunately or unfortunately, lobbying is not openly carried out in Japan as it reminds people of unfavorable relationship like the collusion and bribery between special-interest groups and politicians. It is uncertain how influential lobbying is here when compared to other countries.

Japan's three major oil refiners ENEOS, Idemitsu and Cosmo occupy almost 90% domestic oil market. They also produce hydrogen and sell it at their own gas stations since 2014 when Toyota launched its first hydrogen FCEV car Mirai. So, no serious supply problem for the hydrogen powered cars either.

Users who are viewing this thread