Japanese aircraft instruments (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Picture 5 is a Carburetor Air Temperature Gauge, produced by the Fuji Aviation Indicator Co, Inc used on the Raiden.

-50~+40 Duel switching 1 and 2

I did a quick research on the RAIDEN and found it to be an intermediate interceptor. This single engine aircraft's powerplant was a 14 cylinder radial. American made radials that I am familiar with used one pressure carburator which brings my question of why two inputs for one carb or did this Japanese radial have two carbs? Carb temp gauges normally are to alert the pilot of icing and when to apply heat. Any ideas on where the two sensors would be positioned? (really getting technical here.) Thanks.

Morning ob'98, I will try and find out some more info when I get home from work as Im getting ready to leave now. The gauge looks familar so Ive seen it before.

Hi Micdrow,

>Here you go HoHun, hopefully this will answer your question. This info came from the book Japanese Aircraft Equipment 1940-1945 by Robert C Mikesh.

Ah, thanks a lot! :) It also corrects my mistake of reading the gauge as "mm H2O" - of course, "mm Hg" is correct!

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

As far as I can say here with confidence is that two Kanji letters on the face of OAT means from L-R ,"gai" (outside) and "nai" (inside).

One more. The letters "kyu-hachi-shiki" (Type 98) and other Kanji letters can be seen engraved but painted over on the indication dialing face of the MAP. Was the instrument from Army or Navy?

Plus, a Kanji on the CHT means a cylinder. :D :shock: :) :p

HI. Thanks to everyone for their ideas and input on the Japanese aircraft indicators. I have been able to ID them all.
1. Type 95 Model 2 Alignment Indicator.
2. Type 95 Model 3 Manifold Pressure Gauge.
3. Type 95 Fuel Oil Pressure Gauge.
4. Cylinder Temperature Gauge.
5. Type 3 Outside Air Temperature Gauge.

All but the Manifold Pressure Gauge have a "Circled Star" on the data plate indicating Japanese Army and are from a multi-engine aircraft; trainers, twin fighter, recon or bomber. The Manifold Pressure Gauge could be from any of 3trainers or 2 fighters. Thanks again.

All of the instruments I've seen in your pictures thus far are Japanese WW2-era pieces. Each one originally had a data plate, and each plate would usually be stamped with one of three characters denoting its use by service branch:

Anchor - Japanese Navy (usually accompanied by an 'y' symbol, which was added by the Navy Inspector)

Star in circle - Army

Kanji character in a square or circle - Civilian use.

I'm always adding Japanese aircraft cockpit information on my own website at: index

I make a point of not bothering with common or published stuff - so you might identify some new instrument applications there (and my art :lol: )

- Ron Cole

Attachments

• web-forum-1.jpg
    web-forum-1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 145
Hello, looks like I found the right place. I recently inherited some parts off of a Zero that my Grandpa stripped off (I think in Saipan). I found info from the website posted earlier and found the gauge to be a Manifold temp gauge. My question's are, What does the large data plate say? What are the 2 components in the boxes? What I think happened is the parts and the aluminum skin were removed after the plane was shot down. Unfortunately I am unable to hear the whole story.

Attachments

• IMG_5306[2].JPG
    IMG_5306[2].JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5308[2].JPG
    IMG_5308[2].JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 139
The gauge looks like a cylinder head temperature gauge and the bottom left large plate looks like a fuselage identification stencil. If it is the large numbers would be the serial number for the aircraft it was taken off of.

ID plate on the left

a small and straight one: upside down left letter "chi" "ji" ; ground
a half round one: unrecognizable at 200% resolution
a couple of small and straight one: high frequency amp "koshuha
zoufuku"

a large one, from top left; description, production serial #, inspection date, inspection stamp
from top right: fuel filter (secondary), S1385 go, Showa year tuki hi , IJN Inspection stamp and on the bottom,
Kabushiki Kaisha Nippon Kinzoku Seisakusho (Japan metal works co.??)
Hyogo pref ????

Boxes on the right
a black one on top: production number and date
a cardboard box:
Clystal
#5788 S go
Showa 19 nen (1944) 3 gatsu (March)
stamp in a red box: ju (accepted or passed?)
Toyo Tushinki Kabushiki Kaisha (today's Totu)

These are from what I can see on the photo. The instrument on the second photo is a CHT highly probably in Celucius. Micdrow san that was correct. It can read "shirinda ondo kei" where shirinda in Katakana is a cylinder in Japanese phonetics.

Regards,

Oh its not an awesome one but just a small one. I may ask somebody's help in case if I got to read other country's documents.

An apology for my absence since early this morning.

Thank You! I did not expect to get such good info so quickly. Does anybody know if there is more information about this particular aircraft, given the serial number?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back