'Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War' by Rene J Francillon (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
The book is widely quoted in many Wikipedia articles. It was published, as far as I know, in 1970, 1979 and 1987.
My questions: do the issues agree with each other? What was the source for performance figures? Is there a 'master book' about Japanese aircraft of the ww2? Do the Japanese books agree with this book?

My questions: do the issues agree with each other? What was the source for performance figures? Is there a 'master book' about Japanese aircraft of the ww2? Do the Japanese books agree with this book?

Hi Tomo, I have a copy of the book in front of me and while I can't answer all your questions I can suggest you read the Preface, where the author thanks a number of familiar individuals for their assistance in making the book, including Jiro Horikoshi, also; "the staff of the Japanese magazines AiReview, Koku Fan and Maru." It's a great resource and I'm sure someone who knows a great deal more about Japanese aircraft than I do might find errors, but it's a bit of a benchmark in the West. My issue is a 2000 reprint.

Also worth looking out for if you want a good reference on Japanese types is "Japanese Aircraft 1910 - 1941" by Bob Mikesh and Shorzoe Abe by the same publisher (Putnam). In its Acknowledgements the authors refer to "...Tadashi Nozawa's eight-volume series of books entitled Encyclopaedia of Japanese Aircraft 1900-1945, for which co-author Shorzoe Abe worked as a member in the editorial team." The difficulty of trawling through references in Japanese archives is mentioned also. This might give you a bit of help with regards to accuracy.

I also have a copy - I believe I got it from a Charity shop for £4.50 ! It says on the sleeve cover - "This is a reprint of the revised and updated second edition".
An excellent informative reference book, and the way the JAAF JNAF developed it easy wonder how a no RAF scenairo would have played out i.e. RFC RNAS post WW1

Thanks for the feedback :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back