Japanese Soldier's Personal Flag

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wish I did as well. My dad didn't show this to me until he was 80 years old so his uncle had already passed away long before. Learning from this experience, I have started to write down the stories of things I have that my sons might want to know or maybe might not remember. I love learning stories about my family. To learn a story about someone is to learn what that person was like before we knew them.
My family is full of combat veterans from all branches of service that reaches back to the birth of the U.S., with legacies rooted both in Europe and Native America before that time, as well.
Many relatives never spoke of their combat experiences and it was only after speaking to family friends (who were also former military) after their passing that some of their battles were revealed.

In regards to your Yosegaki Hinomaru, I am sure that the Obon Society would be able to provide interpretation and a possible time period that it was presented to the Japanese soldier, they have considerable resources for identifying such items.

OK. Let's see what Shinpachi Shinpachi can say.
Looks interesting idea but I would advise that it only shows the reverse side.
This may be some academic but my instinct is based on my little knowledge about Chữ Nôm - the lost old Vietnamese letters.
From Wiki -

"Chữ Nôm (𡨸喃, IPA: [cɨ̌ˀ nom], literally 'Southern characters') is a logographic writing system formerly used to write the Vietnamese language. It uses Chinese characters to represent Sino-Vietnamese vocabulary and some native Vietnamese words, with other words represented by new characters created using a variety of methods, including phono-semantic compounds....."

Chữ Nôm resembles Chinese but cannot be read by Chinese (or Japanese) as most of it simply shows Vietnamese pronunciation.

Screenshot from 2021-08-11 05-50-25.png

Source: Chữ Nôm - Wikipedia

My family is full of combat veterans from all branches of service that reaches back to the birth of the U.S., with legacies rooted both in Europe and Native America before that time, as well.
Many relatives never spoke of their combat experiences and it was only after speaking to family friends (who were also former military) after their passing that some of their battles were revealed.

In regards to your Yosegaki Hinomaru, I am sure that the Obon Society would be able to provide interpretation and a possible time period that it was presented to the Japanese soldier, they have considerable resources for identifying such items.
Thank you so much. I can't imagine what they went through and the things they might have had to do that they normally never would have. To live with it all the years afterwards with virtually no support. Talk about PTSD. My heart goes to all the men and women who have suffered from or still have PTSD (and their families).

I plan on contacting the Obon Society. I kind of wanted to find out what I could on my own first, as I know nothing about the Obon Society. I am finding out here that it is a very worthy resource. The older I get, the more I am really able to value history, and it's lessons.

Thank you!

Thank you so much. I can't imagine what they went through and the things they might have had to do that they normally never would have. To live with it all the years afterwards with virtually no support. Talk about PTSD. My heart goes to all the men and women who have suffered from or still have PTSD (and their families).

I plan on contacting the Obon Society. I kind of wanted to find out what I could on my own first, as I know nothing about the Obon Society. I am finding out here that it is a very worthy resource. The older I get, the more I am really able to value history, and it's lessons.

Thank you!
If finally you can get any info it would be great if you could share with us.

I hope you can succeed in your quest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back