Does anyone have any actual official test/comparison data for the idea that the Allison could run at lower rpm significantly more satisfactorily than the Merlin - hopefully something that explains the problem/difference. The reason I ask is that I have not been able find any officially stated reasons for any significant difference, only anecdotal statements and suppositions.
As far as I know, based on what I know about engines and have been able to find out about the Allison and Merlin, the only reasons that might have made a difference are the type of spark plug used and the compression ratio.
1. Some spark plugs are more prone to fouling than others.
2. Engines with higher compression ratios are generally less prone to fouling of the spark plugs.
No.1 is ~solved by changing the type of spark plug (which was done a few times for various reasons - on both makes of engine). I can not imagine that the various responsible agencies did not think of this and implement a change if needed.
No.2 is ~solved by opening up the throttles to higher rpm and boost periodically during the flight (which is listed in the flight manuals for both makes of engines, although it does seem that it is mentioned less frequently re the Allison.). The higher compression ratio of the Allison would have slowed down/decreased (to a small but possibly significant degree) the fouling process caused by the high TEL content fuels used at the time.
I realize the above is somewhat general, but it should apply regardless of engine type.
Otherwise, I have read in most of the manuals for Merlin powered AC that it was often problematic when running below 1800 rpm, but this was due to the generator not being able to charge the batteries at lower rpm. I have read of this problem with Allison installations as well, although not as often.
I confused.

+

+

+

=