I don't consider the Ki-27 to be a WWII fighter. The Boeing P-26 was flown in very early WWII by the USA and I don't consider IT to be a WWII fighter, either despite it actually being in the war. If I had to include the Ki-27, I'd pick it as the worst.
To me, the worst of the rest was the Ki-43 Hayabusa. It flew beautifully and was exceptionally maneuverable. But, it had very light armament until it's last version (only 2 built), no armor at first, and no self-sealing tanks. So, the vast majority of Ki-43s ... probably over 95% of them ... that served were of the under-armed and under-armored variety. This did not stop them from being effective at first, but DID mean they weren't as good as later radial fighters, including the J2M Raiden, which was one of the very few Japanese fighters that stood a chance of intercepting a B-29.
The fact that they made few of them and that a decent percent of the ones they made didn't really perform up to snuff does not detract from the ones that DID perform well. The ones that performed well validated the design as a good one.
But, hey, opinions differ and I suppose one of the approximately 21 other fighters, all but one of which were powered by radials, COULD be worse. I think the Japanese did a pretty good job with fighters, given the engines and war situation they had to work with. They might not have been up to the task of being fighters in the ETO, but they DID manage to embarrass the Spitfires that showed up in the Pacific around Darwin, and the Spitfire is usually in the running for "best fighter of the war" in most people's book. So, how bad could Japanese fighters have been? Answer is, "Not bad, all things considered!"