JB2 Loon (V1) engine start and run

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jul 12, 2008
I would like to forward this request from another forum:

Hi,

We are trying to get a JB2 Loon engine running. It is a US-made (Ford) copy of the WWII Nazi V-1 engine except that it has curved metal reeds instead of straight metal reeds.

We are using the original fuel pump taht has a rocking lever to pwoer it.

We are not sure how the Germans or the U.S. Navy got these things started, but WE have to use compressed air and a fuel bypass circuit to get it running. The air pressure we are using is 90 psi. We cannot run the 90 psi to the fuel pump since it bursts the pump's rubber diaphram at $1,000 a pop ... figured THAT out quickly.

So ... when we started it originally, it ran OK on the fuel bypass circuit at LOW power, but stopped when we cut off the compressed air.

We had the idea to operate the fuel pump level manually, and succeeded in getting the engine up to about 800 pounds thrust.

My questions to you readers out there are:

1) How did the U.S. Navy get these things running on their own on submarine decks?

2) How did the Germans get the V-1's started and running on their own?

3) Does anyone out there have a manual or knowledge of how a JB2 / V-1 engine starts and runs?

Myself I already asked in a German forum, but received no answer yet. Does anybody here know anything? Thanks a lot for every answer!

Regards, RT

Contact the people at the Planes of Fame Museum at Chino, CA.

They ran their Loon Saturday evening a number of times.

That thing is sure loud. Step back near the exhaust and your whole body vibrates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back