Ju-188 Worthwhile?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Keep in mind that the Ju 188 was actually nothing more than a Ju 88 with a redesigned, streamlined cocpit section. Hence why the first variant was an Ju 188E. Originally it was designated Ju 88E (D being the last variant), it was just redesignated later. In short, it was not a seperate development, just a newer version of the Ju 88 with more powerful engines, and improved performance!

Changing the He-177 into the He-277 must have required radical changes in wing design. You are switching from 2 very large engines to 4 smaller engines.

Ju-88 to Ju-188 is a much simpler change although making the BMW801 radial fit ILO the Jumo 211 V-12 must have taken a bit of work. I suspect life would have been a lot simpler for Junkers engineers if the Jumo 213 or DB603 engine had been available from the beginning.

I was responding to kurfurst stating that the ju 188 was initially named the 88E and then changed later. The He 277 had a similar change. Sorry if I confused anybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back