I was wondering becasue the empty weight means almost nothing. What we need is the basic weight, which is the flyable aircraft with oil, unusable fuel, emergency kits, etc. minus crew, usable fuel, and payload. A plane with an empty weight of 30,000 pounds usually has a basic weight somewhere near 31,200 - 31,800 lbs. If it has radials, it probably has a 20 - 50 US gallon oil tank behind each radial ... etc.
So I was trying to find out some useful numbers. I can find them for the C-46, C-47, C-54 ... but finding them for mass-produced German planes is hard enough, much less a plane with a "production" run of 7 to 65. I'd think a Ju 290, for instance, had maybe 90 gallons or more of oil, a minimum fuel load even for short range of some 300 gallons, a probable max fuel quantity around 1,400+ gallons, a crew of 2 - 4, etc. But since the fuel and oil is a guess, it can have a significant effect on payload.
It's nice to compare gross - empty if nothing else is available, but it certainly wasn't all avialable as useful payload in real life. Still, it may be the best we can do ... and is maybe useful as a rough comparison among several aircraft for a first-order approximation.