JU-87 R-2 T6+AN

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ikerus

Airman 1st Class
Sep 15, 2009
indianapolis, IN
I am looking for some info on this aircraft. I know it was in Libya late 1941 have a b&w pic along with a colorized one in the book Luftwaffe Colours Stuka Volume 2

I am looking for the correct RLM colors for tan that would have been used to disrupt the standard 70/71. Also if there are other pictures that would show if the undersides of the wings had any markings besides the Balkenkreuz. The book mentioned above only has a side pic, so anything would be helpful on this.

I think you mean the plane....

Ju_87R-2_T6-AN_Dec_1941_.jpg

Ju_87R-2_T6-AN_Dec_1941_profile.jpg

As far as the RLM tan colour is concerned... I found in a Luftwaffe im Focus that the sand paint was an Italian one called Giallo Mimetico. Infortunately there is a couple shades of the paint used each designated by a number and supplied to the Regia Aeronautica by four different manufacturers.. In the pic with the Stuka in, the paint tinge looks like being lighter than the German RLM79. Here I found a couple of the samples for these colours. Looking at the pic of the kite I would say it was the Giallo Mimetico 1. However it is possible the colour was the same sandy one used for Italian vehicles in 1941 that was approximately the FS 20260.

Giallo Mimetico_a1.jpg
Giallo Mimetico_a2.jpg

Giallo Mimetico_b1.jpg
Giallo Mimetico_b2.jpg

Giallo Mimetico.jpg

Regarding markings on wing undersides... although the shot below shows a couple of Ju-87s of the StG2 without any code letters there there can be seen the "J" letter on undersides of the Stuka in the second pic that was the manufacturer's code.

Ju87R-2HubertPlz6StG2TmimiLibiav-1.jpg

Ju87R-2HubertPlz6StG2TmimiLibiav-2.jpg

Last edited:
The enlarged pic of the T6+AN reveals something that may look like the "B" letter. So..it might have been the remnant of the the manufacturer's code too. However it could be the shadow of the bomb rack mounted close there as well. But it is too regular in the shape to be the shadow , IMHO.

Ju_87R-2_T6-AN_Dec_1941_3.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. I found the second one after a brief search the other one ok will have to continue to search for

The enlarged pic of the T6+AN reveals something that may look like the "B" letter. So..it might have been the remnant of the the manufacturer's code too. However it could be the shadow of the bomb rack mounted close there as well. But it is too regular in the shape to be the shadow , IMHO.

That is exactly where the rack was positioned. Any letter would be positioned outboard of this. I can't see any evidence of under wing letters in that image.

I have this image of the camouflage on the upper port wing of another aircraft, which might give some idea of what was applied.

upper_camo_zpsbsfxvbsu.gif

I wonder what the evidence for the Italian colour is? It must be possible, but is there any real proof, or is this supposition? Generally I would expect the Luftwaffe personnel to use paints with which they were familiar, assuming they were available.

Cheers

Steve

Here is a pic of a Ju-87 coded T6+M with a similar camo. The top wing layout of spots can be seen partially too.
Ju87R2Trop-StG2-(T6+M)-Mediterranean-Coastline-NorthAfrica-20af+s.jpg

Ju87R2Trop-StG2-(T6+M)-Mediterranean-Coastline-North-Africa-20.jpg

Also the port side of the same kite I think..

Ju87R2Trop-StG2-(T6+M)-Mediterranean-Coastline-North-Africa-21.jpg

Ju87_Stuka_T6-M_.jpg

Last edited:
...I wonder what the evidence for the Italian colour is? It must be possible, but is there any real proof, or is this supposition? Generally I would expect the Luftwaffe personnel to use paints with which they were familiar, assuming they were available.

Cheers

Steve

Here is the part of Axel Urbanke's article "Die Schlangen-Stukas des St.G. 2." published in the Luftwaffe im Focus 7/2005. I think it is the source for most statements that can be found.

piaskowy.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll take his word for when the 'tropical' colours were introduced :)
Cheers
Steve

So if it were an RLM color which sand color would it be?

RLM 79.

It's what I used on this old 21st Century Ju 87, several years ago.

PRQtr_web_zpsrsitwsjl.gif

I probably lightened it a bit. There's no point in over thinking the colour, it was a sand colour and given the references we have everybody is guessing.
Here's the photgraph of the original aircraft which I was attempting to replicate with my model.

REF_zpsgtqtfnmn.gif

Cheers

Steve

I found an image of the T6+AN plane of alittle bit better quality. And here is enlarged pic of the undersides

Ju-97 T6+AN_1.jpg

Ju-97 T6+AN_1a.jpg

ju-97-t6-an_1b.jpg

Last edited:
Well it does look like there is a letter under the wing. I'm leaning more to the no snake version of the paint job to make it a little easier on me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back