JU/87 'Stuka' Aircraft Systems (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wuafwhag

Recruit
Oct 5, 2012
Hello,

I am currently doing a school project on the JU/87 for my Aircraft Systems class and I am in dire need of help. Wikipedia and the School's aircraft encyclopedia are great for getting barebones information about the Stuka but I am looking for a more in depth explanation about the systems of the airplane. Specifically how the auto-pilot worked, and how the 'gull wings' effected the aerodynamics of the airplane.

I have always read that the Stuka had many innovations, but what I've read at school and online fails to extrapolate on that idea. Please let me know of any neat facts you guys might know!

Thanks!

We'll have to wait for one of the "gear-heads" on the cool stuff like the automatic pull-up system. I can tell you about the Psycological aspect of the plane.
It was equipted with what the crews called "The Jerico Trumpets". These were sirens that were attatched to the front of the wheel pants, and, when engaged during an attack, gave a terrible howl.
Stukas were used as flying artillery, blasting holes that the panzers could use to break through and lay waste to rear areas. To increase panic and disorganization in the rear, Ju-87's strafed and bombed civilian as well as military targets. This is well documented by eyewitness accounts. This was total war, and war sucks.
The Stuka also possesed a strange case of the "Uglies", reminding many of a vulture. Suprisingly, to me, the Germans didn't appear to take advantage of the hideous "grin" that was the radiator. There are photo's of a Ju-87-R in North Africa with a giant snake painted on the side from the front to the rear, but this is unusual.
Hope that helps you.

Thanks for the information! Our project is going to be a powerpoint presentation so pictures and videos will be included. I'll see if I can't find that snake Stuka. I agree I always thought the radiator on this plane was grounds for some awesome nose art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back