Ju-88 Unit Identity

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Was the pic taken in a hangar? I thought I might have seen the one.

Thanks to me new scanner I bought yesterday, I have the pic...

from "German Bombers Over Russia" by Bryan Philpott, pg 56

Attachments

• img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 58
I have found this in one of books about He111.These letters are a factory code ones.But these on these Ju87 are the unit code and markings.

Have you noticed that letters for the code are always of the same colour contrary to the code (D letter) on the Ju-88.

Attachments

• He111H-1.jpg
    He111H-1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Ju87 codes.jpg
    Ju87 codes.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 56
i am 99,9% sure that is the factorycode. and it has probaly just arrived from the factory. the theatrical band indicating russian front but was painted here and there by different units.. the one we salvaged had it across the balkencross on the fuselage..and i have seen them painted further back and further up on the fuselage also..

see picture

GF

Attachments

• flaregun 001.jpg
    flaregun 001.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 59
i have looked closer on the picture and to me it seems that this aircrfat is on frontline service and that they have painted on the indvidual letter for the aircraft for the KG its in and the barbarossa markings. the underwing yellow matches the A5 we salvaged 100% and the band on the fuselage is just a bit in front of what it was on ours.. my thoughts on this is that the most important thing is to get the yellow on so one can identify it as friend ( so the other friendly guys around dont shoot it down ) and also the induvidual marking for the Kg so guys knew what plane to fly when issued one..and that the groupmarkings would wait until time would permitt !! I would guess KG 54 as all pictures i have seen on G 54 in russia had the band all over, no standard.. some here and some there.. hehe ( just my thoughts on the matter )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back