JU88 BMW engine badges

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

von hahn

Airman 1st Class
Aug 2, 2008
JNB
Hi all,

Having been to Hendon and seen the JU88 there, I noticed that it has BMW badges on the exterior underside of each engine cowling.

Was this standard on all JU88s? I'm building the ICM JU88 A-5 (Battle of Britain period) and wanted to know if I should add BMW logos?

Thank you all!

With nearly 70,000 of those Jumo 211's built in five different factories (over the course of WW2) it's possible that BMW may have either assisted in the assembly of these engines or even manufactured some of them.

Yep.. the plane doesn't have anything in common with the BoB. I found the info via the net ...

The captured RAF Ju 88R-1 was a night-fighter version that was flown from Norway to Scotland in May 1943. This aircraft was equipped with the latest FuG 202 Lichtenstein BC A.I radar. It was the first to fall into British hands with complete documentation and it provided valuable information about German electronic defenses to the RAF Bomber Command.

On Sunday 9 May 1943 this aircraft took off from Aalborg, Westerland, Denmark at 1503 hours and landed at Kristiansand, Norway for refuelling at 1603. It took off again at 1650 for a mission over the Skaageraak. The Ju 88's crew of three were: Oberleutnant Heinrich Schmitt (Pilot), Oberfeldwebel Erich Kantwill (Flight Engineer) and Oberfeldwebel Paul Rosenberger (Wireless Op/Gunner). At 1710 hours Rosenberger sent a bogus message to Night fighter HQ at Grove, Denmark, saying the aircraft's starboard engine was on fire. Schmitt took the aircraft down to sea level to get below German radar and dropped three life rafts to make the Germans think the plane and crew were lost at sea, then headed for Scotland.
Two Spitfire VBs of No.165 Squadron were scrambled from Dyce with orders to intercept Schmitt's Ju 88 near Peterhead. Flight Lieutenant Arthur Roscoe was flying as 'Blue 1' and Sergeant Ben Scamen was 'Blue 2'. The Spitfire pilots made contact with the Junker's at about 1805 hours 13 miles north west of Aberdeen.
Schmitt landed his aircraft at Dyce at 1820 hours. He had delivered the Ju88 (that was fitted with the latest FuG 202 Liechtenstein BC A.I radar, as well as associated signals documents) into British hands. It is thought that both Schmitt and Rosenberger had been working with British Intelligence for some time.

Captured Ju-88R-10NJG3 D5_EY.jpg

With nearly 70,000 of those Jumo 211's built in five different factories (over the course of WW2) it's possible that BMW may have either assisted in the assembly of these engines or even manufactured some of them.
BMW had it's hands full maintaining production of the 801 to meet airframe demands - they were not in any position to take on other manufacturer's production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back