Hi Guys,
Guynemer,
I just stumbled onto this Thread. There is some great information on
WWII Aircraft Performance on the Ki-61-I. Somewhere on this sight I also stumbled across what appears to be a TAIC report numbered 154A and 154B. It is titled TONY 1 and TONY 2. It states that the performance figures for the Ki.61-II are based on fragmentary documentary evidence and resultant extrapotation of engine ratings (I wish I knew exactly what all that meant.?). It has perfomance graphs. The following is from 154B 1-4.
Engine: Kawasaki Ha-140/1,440hp @ WE power/5,700ft.
Test Weight: 7,232 lbs.
Maximum Speed: 335mph/S.L. 423mph/28,000ft.
Climb: 3,425fpm/S.L. 3,560fpm/6,600ft. 1,000fpm/37,400ft. 100fpm/43,000ft.
Timed Climb: 10,000ft./3.2min. 20,000ft./6.6min.
Maximum Range: 2,120mls./150mph./1,500ft./305gallons of fuel.
I see this Thread started in December 2006 so you probably have all this information. But just in case you didn't. I thought I'd throw it out there. If you haven't seen this report, let me know and I'll try to break the graphs down more and post info on the Tony 1 as well.
I read on Wikipedia that the Ki.61-II was one of the very few Japanese fighters able to reach the operational altitude of the B-29s raiding Japan with decent firepower. Wiki contenues stating the majority of B-29s lost to Japanese fighters were shot down by the Ki.61-II. Well, that's what Wikipedia says.