The exampe of turning you quote for the Spitfire is at very high altitudes (which does favour the unusually large Spitfire wing at such heights), and the description of an "astonishingly small" radius does not constitute evidence of
sustained turning performance at lower altitudes...
Neither does the description of superior Spitfire Mk IX straight-line performance to the FW-190A (?)...
I will concede the Spitfire can probably out-turn the FW-190A in any circumstances above 20-25 000 ft.,
including sustained turns, since even the Me-109G could beat the FW-190A up there as well: The maximum practical ceiling of the FW-190A seemed to be around 25 000 ft, and its handling drastically deteriorated above 20 000 ft. or so...
On the contrary, there is, if not massive, then close to massive evidence of the opposite: I'll just get my favourite quote out of the way: John Weir, RCAF:
"The Hurricane was more manoeuvrable than the Spit and, and the Spit was probably, we (Hurricane pilots) could turn one way tighter than the Germans could on a, on a, on a Messerschmitt, but the Focke Wulf could turn the same as we could and, they kept on catching up, you know."
As far as selecting the Spitfire combat quote, I didn't, since all the FW-190A out-turning quotes belong to one of the two caveats: Too high (as yours), or no mention of low speed and/or multiple consecutive circles.
Yes it is "selected" evidence, but nothing prevents the contrarians from selecting the opposite (which I would be happy to see).
The fact opposite anecdotal is near impossible to find (comparatively), should serve as a clue, not to mention KG 200's evaluation opinion: "The P-47D out-turns our Bf-109G"
Tactical and technical trends, Nov. 5-11 1942:
-"Maneuverability--Except at lower speeds-around 140 MPH(!)- The FW-190 is superior and will out-turn the P-38" (A FW-190A-4)
-1943 British test: "The P-38G and FW-190A-4 are roughly similar in turning ability"
Note this combat of a P-38G against a Me-109G:
Lt. Royal Madden from the 370th FG, 9th AF, July 31, 1944
" I then noticed a single Me 109 on my tail and hit the deck in a sharp spiral.
We seemed to be the only two planes around so we proceeded to mix it up in a good old-fashioned dogfight at about 1000 feet. This boy was good and he had me plenty worried as he sat on my tail for about five minutes, but I managed to keep him from getting any deflection. I was using maneuvering flaps often and finally got inside of him. I gave him a short burst at 60 degrees, but saw I was slightly short so I took about 2 radii lead at about 150 yards and gave him a good long burst. There were strikes on the cockpit and all over the ship and the canopy came off. He rolled over on his back and seemed out of control so I closed in and was about to give him a burst at 0 deflection when he bailed out at 800 feet.
Having lost the squadron I hit the deck for home. Upon landing I learned that my two 500 pound bombs had not released when I had tried to jettison them upon being jumped. As a result I carried them throughout the fight." [!!!!]
Here are a few P-47 combat reports with my comments:
Inability of the FW-190A to make large high speed turns at 500 mph, instead doing "skidding turns":
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/355-russell-2march44.jpg
Roughly matches poor high-speed performance here:
http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/3950/pag20pl.jpg
http://www.ww2f.com/russia-war...iences-fw-190-a.html
Poor FW-190A high-speed handling (400 MPH speed, elongated loop, abrupt pitching-up, blacking out the pilot as in the "tendency to black-out the pilot" in the P-47 test two links above (nose high deceleration in a broad curve of course), snapping completely out in 400mph turns etc...):
http://www.spitfireperformance...0-murrell-2dec44.jpg
Inability of the FW-190A to make turns at 500 mph: "He tried short sharp turns right and left, and what seemed skidding turns down. There was no violent evasive action at all.":
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/355-russell-2march44.jpg
Superior P-47D turn rate against Me-109G (contrast later to FW-190A):
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/56-mudge-1dec43.jpg
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/78-covelle-19may44.jpg
Lesser or nil P-47D superiority in turns to right vs Me-109G (as example of why the opposite could be demonstrated: It seems the P-47D out-turned the Me-109G severely to the left mostly):
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/56-truluck-27sept43.jpg
Now contrast this to the FW-190A-8, late in 1944 (The P-47 has to escape in a zoom...):
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/78-bonebrake-19dec44.jpg
More Me-109G turnfight-beating links
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/78-mcdermott-25may44.jpg
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/78-luckey-19may44.jpg
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/78-covelle-19may44.jpg
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/78-bosworth-7oct44.jpg
"I easily out-turned them (2 Me-109Gs) from 9000 ft to 2000 ft":
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/78-brown-15march44.jpg
"We started turning with several 109s, and were having no difficulty doing it at 23500 ft. with full tanks"
"About 4 (109s)across the circle from and five pulling in on us from six o'clock. But as we pulled deflection on the others across from us, the rest seemed to lose interest in the fight and disappeared"
10 000 ft.: "The e/a started trying to turn, and we out-turned them immediately"
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/78-covelle-19may44.jpg
Rare, rare, RARE case of the Me-109G causing the P-47 trouble in a Luftberry: Only one of two I am aware of so far...:
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/78-brasher-11feb44.jpg
Another rare case of a P-47 in trouble vs a Me-109, by Covelle again, despite him having no trouble with his tanks full previously, now had trouble with one out 109 out of several (but equal to the others): Then, out of ammunition and still fighting(!): "I broke into this 109 and he tacked on to me, but I managed to out-turn him until I reached the clouds":
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/78-covelle-7june44.jpg
Interesting mixture of turning and dive/zooming by a FW-190A: I would call it an unusually equitable use of both turning and dive and zoom: He gets killed in a zoom:
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/78-brown-23march44.jpg
Against a late FW-190A-8, no so easy...: "We fought a long running and turning fight eastward, during which which I was out-turned several times which necessitated climbing and allowing the e/a to run" Just before that a Luftberry alone with 3 Me-109s had resulted in a kill...
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/78-bonebrake-19dec44.jpg
Earlier needle-tip prop (pre-Jan-1944) P-47Ds also showed a significant superiority in sustained turns to the Me-109G, except that to the right the margin is closer: "My excess speed was about gone but I was gradually getting inside and nearer to him" ---Despite being in a right-turning Luftberry: Close to stalling but still gaining...:
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/78-bonebrake-19dec44.jpg
Luftberry
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/361-naedele-8april44.jpg
Turning`
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/361-merritt-22feb44-b.jpg
two turns around hangar and "I was continually out-turning him"
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/361-eckfeldt-8april44.jpg
two luftberrys. I closed on the last E/A
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/355-woertz-29nov44.jpg
"tight luftberry. My excess airspeed was about gone, but I was gradually getting inside and nearer to him (Me-109)"
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/56-truluck-27sept43.jpg
"In this engagement we succeeded in out-diving and out-turning the enemy (Me-109) at any altitude"
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/56-thomton-12may44.jpg
8000 ft-"We had no difficulty turning and climbing with them":
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/78-luckey-19may44.jpg
In another example of P-47D turn assymetry vs the Me-109G, notice how, against the very same Me-109G, the contest is a LOT longer and closer when to the RIGHT (several P-47 pilot quotes confirm the strong preference of the P-47D for the left turn)...:
http://www.wwiiaircraftperform...wilkinson-1dec43.jpg
Again, long turning battle with the FW-190A, a rough match:
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/353-field-22april44.jpg
Again,"not being able to hold any more deflection" against a FW-190A:
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/361-kruzel-8march44.jpg
"Not being able to tighten my turn any further" against a FW-190A, and "overrunnning" him twice in the same sentence:
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/er/361-kruzel-8march44.jpg
So the invitation is out there to match this with even half or less of the amount of valid contrarian examples ("valid" meaning not hugely high or above 25 000 ft., preferrably below 20 000, and the mention of a reasonably low starting speed, thus no previous diving, and, most important, mention of multiple consecutive circles)...
Gaston