Hello Corsning,
I am not really sure what you mean by "stall and cut". Does that have something to do with using engine torque to improve your turn rate?
Hi Ivan, perhaps stall and cut are not the appropriate words to use. The following
is the only quote I could find from the mock combat between a P-38H and Spitfire
XIV. I do not remember the P-38 dominating. I remember it as the two were turning
at a stalemate. All the rest of the story seem accurate though. It went like this:
" During the late winter of 1944 occurred the famous dual between a Griffon-engine
Spitfire XIV and a P-38H of the 364th FG. Col. Lowell flew the P-38, engaging the
Spitfire at 5,000 ft. in a head-on pass. Lowell was able to get on the Spitfire's tail
and stayed there no matter what the Spitfire pilot did. Although the Spitfire could
execute a tighter turning circle than the P-38, Lowell was able to use the P-38's
excellent stall Characteristics to repeatedly pull inside the Spit's turn radius and
rid the stall, then back off outside the Spit's turn, pick up speed and cut back in
again in what he called a 'cloverleaf' maneuver. After 20 minutes of this at 1,000 ft.
altitude, the Spit tried a Split-S (at a 30-degree angle, not vertically down), Lowell
stayed with the Spit through the maneuver, although his P-38 almost hit the
ground. After the Spitfire pilot brock off the engagement and flew home. this
contest was witnessed by 75 pilots on the ground."