Ki-61 Hien (Tony) Radiator / Meredith Effect?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey, what's the matter to you? You speak bad from your mouth!

From your moronic posts and attitude to me it's clear that you're far too short to explain my job to me. Engineer studies include science and technology either, and some other things. Moroever at Atwood's level that touch applied research matters.

Anyway except some trifles and banalities, you haven't sent any sustented Atwood's physical demonstration to quantify the properly " Meredith effect" part in the Mustang drag.
You brand Atwood a 'publicist' and I speak bad from MY mouth? For someone supposedly in the same profession you show a distinct lack of either history or respect.

There's alot of things I'm short on, arrogance is one of them, too bad you can't say the same you ego-centric pillock.

'Too short' to explain you YOUR job? I WAS ASKING YOU ABOUT YOUR JOB! WHAT PART OF "I DON'T WORK WITH WIND TUNNELS" DIDN'T YOU GET?

Correct, I didn't provide any substantiation re Atwood's physical demonstration, up until Bronc's post, nobody had - including you. You have the right to pass my 'trifles and banalities' by - try exercising it.

On the comparative build quality of Spits I was watching a Discovery doco interviewing an engineer who was restoring both a Spit and a Messer, and also a RAF pilot who flies Spits in the Battle of Britain airshow who gave a pilot evaluation of the cockpits (this episode is available on You Tube in five parts called something like Facts and Figures of the Spitfire).

In comparing the Spit construction to the Messer (and American warbirds of the era) the engineer noted the Spit was less "clean and neat" with its skinning and general construction, less refined and what he termed "more old fashioned in building style." Joins were not as smooth, it had drag inducing triple rolled edges and folds, didn't have comparable quality flush riveting, the best part of it he said was the engine. By comparison the Messer (like American warbirds) had very refined build quality and he was actually surprised by it being higher than he expected, it reminded him of German Formula One racers of the era and he said it was actually probably even over-engineered for its requirements, but overall a very high build quality.
I presume you'd probably find similar differences with a Mustang.

The Spitfire didn't have flush riveting over her entire construction...flush riveting was only used in the areas where maximizing wind flow was critical. They actually ran wind tunnel experiments on a mock-up that had nuts glued in place of the rivets. In testing they removed nuts "one by one" and noted the effect it had on the wind flow...In the end they only used flush rivets on the areas that where out of the air flow. This was done in an effort to maximize time in construction...flush riveting takes longer. :rolleyes:

Actually on the documentary they described the process of removing nuts particularly around the cowling as "they get shaken loose by the Merlin" (so just stand around under the nose with your palm upwards), which reminds me of this English feller I knew, said he'd made his own remote control for a television in his workshop. I was impressed, I went around expecting to see circuit boards and wiring everywhere, perhaps he'd mounted valves and boards in a large box to send out a shorwave signal to change the channels on his remote control tv he'd lost the original remote for...it was a stick with two nails in the end. He'd lay on his bed and use the stick to change the channels, that was his 'remote.'
So I do tend to picture things like a hampster running exhaustively on a wheel to drive a large, thatch-weave bamboo fan when people bring up things like British WW2 wind tunnel testing :D

I'm kidding around, I'm sure the poms were very professional.

Actually on the documentary they described the process of removing nuts particularly around the cowling as "they get shaken loose by the Merlin" (so just stand around under the nose with your palm upwards), which reminds me of this English feller I knew, said he'd made his own remote control for a television in his workshop. I was impressed, I went around expecting to see circuit boards and wiring everywhere, perhaps he'd mounted valves and boards in a large box to send out a shorwave signal to change the channels on his remote control tv he'd lost the original remote for...it was a stick with two nails in the end. He'd lay on his bed and use the stick to change the channels, that was his 'remote.'
So I do tend to picture things like a hampster running exhaustively on a wheel to drive a large, thatch-weave bamboo fan when people bring up things like British WW2 wind tunnel testing :D

I'm kidding around, I'm sure the poms were very professional.

You know...I'm not sure which documentary I saw the information on. My first impression is that it was part of the "RAF collection", maybe it was on the "RAF Heritage collection" on the Spitfire... They may have used the flush riveting around the cowl, but I remember seeing a section of the wing and across the top surface of the wing was the use of flush riveting, but on another section of the wing was rivets with the bump.
Anywaaaaay....:oops:

...which reminds me of this English feller I knew, said he'd made his own remote control for a television in his workshop. I was impressed, I went around expecting to see circuit boards and wiring everywhere, perhaps he'd mounted valves and boards in a large box to send out a shortwave signal to change the channels on his remote control tv he'd lost the original remote for...it was a stick with two nails in the end. He'd lay on his bed and use the stick to change the channels, that was his 'remote.'...
He was clearly a disciple of the great man...

A system should be as simple as possible but not simpler
(A Einstein 1879 - 1955)

:)

:D I was sweating that comment a bit and I'm glad it was taken in the good humour that was intended.

I'm continuously amazed by the sheer rate of technological development at that time, particularly in aero manufacture. As far as I'm concerned all the major producers deserve some kind of award for brilliance, the UK, Germany (Nazism clearly aside), the US, the Soviets (Stalinism again clearly aside), the Italians, Japanese, the engineers of all these nations, beyond the idea of borders and politics were just genius, often approaching the most complex problems with pragmatism and the invention of new disciplines and facilities as necessary, comparable to the space age and computer revolution in nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back