Lagg 3 91AP Black Sea Fleet 1944

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SirFrancis

Airman 1st Class
Feb 10, 2022
Hey guys,

I'm working on a Dako 1/72 kit, The instructions say olive green / brown camouflage. However I found a profile of same aircraft (White 43) showing it in dark grey / light grey, and stating that as the standard 43-45 scheme.

Which is correct?

Below are the two. Cheers.

1714659666459.png

1714659715543.png

Actually the Olive Green/Brown camo is incorrect rather. As memo serves the mistake was made years ago while the shots of the 9 IAP planes were analized. These kites looked lighter than those earlier LaGGs in the Green/Black colours introduced in 1941. So it was assumed it had to be just the OG/B paints. However later it was found that the pics were taken later 1943/ 1944. And the LAGGs were said to be of the plant of Tbilisi production and type 66. This led to the changing of the camouflage colour to the grey ones that were introduced in early spring of 1943. IMHO the grey camo AMT11/AMT12 is correct.

43shchipov.jpg

LaGG-3 9 IAP.jpg

the source: LaGG-3 of 9 IAP

Actually the Olive Green/Brown camo is incorrect rather. As memo serves the mistake was made years ago while the shots of the 9 IAP planes were analized. These kites looked lighter than those earlier LaGGs in the Green/Black colours introduced in 1941. So it was assumed it had to be just the OG/B paints. However later it was found that the pics were taken later 1943/ 1944. And the LAGGs were said to be of the plant of Tbilisi production and type 66. This led to the changing of the camouflage colour to the grey ones that were introduced in early spring of 1943. IMHO the grey camo AMT11/AMT12 is correct.

View attachment 776600
View attachment 776601
the source: LaGG-3 of 9 IAP
Hey thanks Wojtek, I'm glad I checked, would've been pretty cranky finding out after painting! I like the grey scheme so even better!.

You know everyone wants to be the only one and unique. So the top box rendition had to be different from others. However the instruction is correct.

View attachment 776623
So just looking at the 2 schemes from Rosen / Toro, the dark and light grey are reversed. My Dako kit instruction is like the first one above with the lighter nose section. Any thoughts on this?

Here are shots of the 9 IAP LaGGs. All of them had the same scheme of the camouflage starting with the AMT-11 at the nose. The image of the "White 43" also shows the AMT-12 paint at the cockpit area so it is almost sure the kite wore the same camo layout like all of the 9IAP LaGGs. See my post #3 above.

full.jpg

full.jpg

Note #24 had no star on fin while #32 has a small star with no outline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back