LaGG-Morane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

weirdguy

Recruit
Sep 23, 2004
Columbia, MO
I just ran across a reference to a plane called a LaGG-Morane. Does anybody know anything about this? From the context I assume it was some sort of development of the French M.S.406.

By 1943 Finland had received their original 30 aircraft, as well as an additional 46 406's and 11 410's purchased from the Germans. By this point the planes were hopelessly outdated, but the Finns were so desperate for serviceable aircraft that they decided to start a modification program to bring all of their examples to a new standard.

The result was the Mörkö Moraani (Finnish for Werewolf Morane), sometimes referred to as the LaGG-Morane. Powered by captured Klimov M-105P engines (a licensed version of the HS 12Y) of 1,100 hp (820 kW) with a fully-adjustable propeller, the airframe required some local strengthening and also gained a new and more aerodynamic engine cowling. The result of these changes boosted the speed was to 326 mph. Other changes included a new oil cooler taken from the Me 109, the use of four belt-fed guns like the 410, and the excellent 20 mm MG 151/20 cannon in the engine mounting. Supplies of the MG 151 were limited however, and several received captured 50cal Berezina UBS guns instead.

Thanks. That has got to be one of the most convoluted developments I've ever heard of. A Finnish aircraft bought from the French with a Russian engine and German guns.

Its very cute. Even though we are quite close to the CBD we are in a very quiet street. VERY, very quiet. Its almost like we are on holiday in the bush!

My house is quieter than the lancs, i live 1 mile away from any proper roads, and i live 1/4 mile down a dead end. The road lanc lives by is "busy" by my standards. And he lives on a farm so its louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back