Lancaster LL807

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Orzel

Airman
Sep 8, 2020
I recently looked at photos of my great great uncles plane and I noticed that LL807 has both the designation BH-K and BH-N.Can someone please elaborate on this please.

Aircraft within squadrons often changed their individual code letter, for various reasons. It may be, for example, that BH-K went in for deep service or repair, and a new aircraft became the new BH-K. When the original ( BH-K ) emerged from the hangar, it may have then been allocated "N" as it's individual code letter, becoming BH-N, possibly replacing former "N" lost on operations or damaged beyond repair etc.

Yes. This was the case with KB.721, Coded VR-E. It was badly shot up on a raid to Bochum, November 4/5 1944. When it was next operational and flown by my father on a raid to Duisburg, 18 December 1944, it was coded VR-B. The aircraft survived the war and returned to Canada. The key on all of this is to follow the aircraft serial number, not the code letters. I realize the aircraft serial number is not always visible.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread