Lancaster LM103, 625 Sqn

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tincanalpha

Recruit
Jul 13, 2024
Good afternoon. I've just joined this forum so please excuse my newbie question. Sorry also that this might be a bit of a lengthy introduction. My wife is best friends with someone who's grandfather flew with 625 Sqn on LM103 ( CF-N ?), R. Banks. My wife's friend has just taken her father ( Bank's son) for a taxi trip on Just Jane and as my hobby is modelling i would like to build his father's aircraft for him. I am looking for any information available on this aircraft from what looks like a very knowledgeable forum. Many thanks in advance. TCA

LM103
Avro 683 Lancaster I
Built by: Armstrong Whitworth
Contract: 239/SAS/C4 ( C )
Delivered: 1944-05-17
Struck off: 1944-09-13 mission over Frankfurt
Fate: Crashed
Service: 625 Squadron RAF
Code CF-N
Home Base: Kelstern

Last Flight crew ...

CF-N crew.jpg

the source: LM103

Many thanks Wurger. Finding pictures of this airframe seems to be impossible but hopefully I can expand on info from this aircrew.

Photos of 625 Sqn Lancs are as rare as rocking horse sh*t - I've only ever seen two in the past 30+ years, one of which is shown below, of LM384.
Note lack of H2s blister, and the yellow disc on the nose on this example. (Squadron Signal book).
The colour pic is from my 1991 painting, issued as crew-signed prints, depicting "Oozlum Bird" departing Kelstern in July, 1944, a few hours before being shot down by a Bf 110 over Stuttgart.
No yellow disc, but carries H2s, and the nose mounts for the I.R. recognition lamps (not in use).

Lanc 625.jpg
aircraft paintings 008.jpg

Photos of 625 Sqn Lancs are as rare as rocking horse sh*t - I've only ever seen two in the past 30+ years, one of which is shown below, of LM384.
Note lack of H2s blister, and the yellow disc on the nose on this example. (Squadron Signal book).
The colour pic is from my 1991 painting, issued as crew-signed prints, depicting "Oozlum Bird" departing Kelstern in July, 1944, a few hours before being shot down by a Bf 110 over Stuttgart.
No yellow disc, but carries H2s, and the nose mounts for the I.R. recognition lamps (not in use).

View attachment 789059View attachment 789060

Many thanks Airframes. Just my luck to want to model a golden egg. I think i might have to go with best guess unless i can see if Banks' family has any photos themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO the painting of the model isn't a trouble. The standard camo with the standard RAF markings. The only problem is the lack of the possible emblem ( nose art ) appearance that could be applied.

My wife is going to pursue family photos tomorrow. I can't see this being a valid avenue but i live in hope. Artistic license will be used in light of anything else concrete to back it up. I'm hoping that there wasn't any nose art and as the aircraft was only around 4 months old that there wasn't a whole bunch of recorded mission markings.

That looks amazing my friend. Could you tell me where you sourced the codes and serial numbers please as it looks like I will be going down the AM route for these. Many thanks. TCA

Many thanks Airframes. I think im going to order the kit now and get the decals next month. Im hoping to get it finished for its 80th anniversary of its final mission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back