Landing and basing fees at Brooklands and Croyden aerodromes, late 1930s (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For reasons too convoluted to recount, I'm trying to find out what the landing and basing fee structures were at Brooklands and Croyden in the late 1930s.

Yes, I know I can send a request (and money) to Brooklands' archives, but they take forever. (My last query was finally answered after three months.) Since no piece of trivia seems too esoteric for this forum, I thought I'd try here first.

I'm also trying the National Aerospace Library again. Last time I asked, they didn't have anything.

Thanks in advance.

Extra points for the menu from the tea counter.
Actually, if anyone knows whether the flying clubhouse (photo attached) included a cafe, I'd love to know about it. Not even the present owner knows.

Attachments

• Brooklands Aerodrome 09 2023 Aero Clubhouse F.jpg
    Brooklands Aerodrome 09 2023 Aero Clubhouse F.jpg
    947.3 KB · Views: 2
A cafe would be a bit "continental" for the era, I am sure it had a tea room, for high tea at 4PM with scones, Devonshire clotted cream and blueberry jam.
With the traffic in and out of Brooklands airfield, I'd expect something more like a tea or snack bar, open diner hours. Perhaps pub food without the pub, so it wouldn't have to be licensed. It seems to me that a place that served only high tea wouldn't be open long enough to make the rent. Unfortunately, while there are a zillion pictures of the clubhouse online, not one of them shows the interior.

There is a book describing airfields and if i am not mistaken decribing functionalties of the field.
I cant get to my files now.

Wasnt there also a few chapters in Jane's all the world airplanes ?

brooklands.jpg

Last edited:
re

The Brooklands Automobile Racing Clubhouse had a restaurant in its building, but that building is at the opposite end of the airfield from the flying clubhouse.

"https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/attachments/brooklands-aerodrome-09-2023-aero-clubhouse-f-jpg.790751/"

There was a Blue Bird Restaurant over in the hangar area (actually built on to one end of a hangar) of the airfield from 1913 to the mid-1920s at least (maybe later), but it was not in the Brooklands Aerodrome office/control tower/flying clubhouse that LCharnes posted a picture of above.

from Flight magazine 1913
Blue Bird Restaurant-Brooklands 1913.jpg

The little building on the right is the Passenger Flight booking office. :)

As a club house, I would expect there to be a full-up restaurant, a licenced bar, and function rooms. This seems to be confirmed by the Brooklands website:

Nothing looks more like a cricket pavilion than that club house. I would suggest that it was heavily modelled on a cricket club and many members played cricket, drove fast cars and had a private pilots license.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back