Landing gear to identify of underwater wreck

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
Suppost to be english or german ( might be a He111 ?)

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 263
Can't see the original pic, but the Beaufighter and Beaufort both had the same landing gear. If it's in Turkish waters, it's more likely to be a Beaufighter though.

These landing gears of Beaufort and Beaufighter look similar but it seems not the same. There are minor differences between them. The first one that can be seen in many pics of Beaufort, is that there was a kind of rounded rod attached to absorbers above the wheel. ALso poles on leg sides seem to be shorter than these of Beaufighter ones or there isn't them at all. And the brake pipes going a little bit different.

Here a few pictures to compare I have found via the net.

Beaufort

Beaufort10oClock.jpg

Beaufort1oClock.jpg

Beaufighter

bristol%2Bbeaufighter%2BII.jpg

beaufit7.jpg

These shots show debris close-up only. I think we need more general view at that derelict.

These landing gears of Beaufort and Beaufighter look similar but it seems not the same. There are minor differences between them. The first one that can be seen in many pics of Beaufort, is that there was a kind of rounded rod attached to absorbers above the wheel. ALso poles on leg sides seem to be shorter than these of Beaufighter ones or there isn't them at all. And the brake pipes going a little bit different.

Here a few pictures to compare I have found via the net.

Beaufort

Beaufort10oClock.jpg

Hi Wurger

Beautiful clear photos however the Beaufort in those photos is a DAP (Australian built) Beaufort and they were fitted with an Australian designed and manufactured landing gear built by National Motor Springs.

The English Beaufort used a Bristol designed gear which looks far more like the Beaufighter gear. Unfortunately without a British Beaufighter parts listing I cannot confirm whether the Bristol built aircraft used the same or different gears at this time.

Mi

Here is a shot of a Beaufort of the 42nd RAF squadron. As I said five years ago the main landing gear looked almost the same but there were minor differences though. The basic components seem to be the same indeed.

beauford.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back