Lasers Being Pointed At Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
From AVWEB

"Law enforcement and aviation officials in the Boston area are trying to figure out who is using lasers to target aircraft. Last week there were three incidents of laser strikes from the ground. The first two occurred in the predawn hours Thursday and involved two JetBlue aircraft. Both were reportedly struck by green lasers while on approach to land at Logan International Airport (KBOS).

According to the FAA, the first incident was reported by the crew of JetBlue Flight 494 from Denver. The second was Flight 972 from San Jose, California. The flights landed at KBOS at 5:50 a.m. EDT and 5:54 a.m., respectively. There were no reports of injuries.

The third incident occurred around 8 p.m. when a Coast Guard helicopter conducting a training flight was struck by a green laser while landing at a Boston-area hospital. Again there were no injuries reported from the event.

According to the FAA, pilots have reported more than 7,400 laser hazard incidents so far this year. Last year, pilots reported nearly 9,500 to the agency."

From AVWEB

"Law enforcement and aviation officials in the Boston area are trying to figure out who is using lasers to target aircraft. Last week there were three incidents of laser strikes from the ground. The first two occurred in the predawn hours Thursday and involved two JetBlue aircraft. Both were reportedly struck by green lasers while on approach to land at Logan International Airport (KBOS).

According to the FAA, the first incident was reported by the crew of JetBlue Flight 494 from Denver. The second was Flight 972 from San Jose, California. The flights landed at KBOS at 5:50 a.m. EDT and 5:54 a.m., respectively. There were no reports of injuries.

The third incident occurred around 8 p.m. when a Coast Guard helicopter conducting a training flight was struck by a green laser while landing at a Boston-area hospital. Again there were no injuries reported from the event.

According to the FAA, pilots have reported more than 7,400 laser hazard incidents so far this year. Last year, pilots reported nearly 9,500 to the agency."
This is one of the most overblown concerns that pilots have to deal with.

Even Class 2 laser devices (generally called eye safe) can be dangerous if they hit your eye at the right angle at the right time. They can cause a brief overload of the cones and rods in the retina. They will not normally cause damage to the eye if they are far enough away (see NOHD), but can blind you for an instant by generating a bright white 'flash' (the term often used to describe the 'blink' phenomena by people on the receiving end). A person will find themselves involuntarily looking away from and unable to stare/focus on the point/area where the beam is originating from.

Any laser of Class 2 or higher can cause the 'flash' or 'blink' phenomena at considerable range beyond the NOCD (Normal Ocular Hazard Range, ie the distance beyond which the device is considered eye safe and will not cause temporary or permanent damage to the eye).

A link to visible and non-visible light laser devices Class 1-4 definitions "Laser Classification Explanation"

A link to visible light laser devices Class 1-4 spreadsheet "https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/Spreadsheet---laser-classes.pdf"

A link to industrial and military type laser range finders "Laser Rangefinders to Suit all Applications"

A link to a site where many types of laser devices can be purchased by anyone "Laser Pointers - BigLaserPointers.com"

Last edited:
The U.K.was faced with a large number of incidents a few years back. like this one 2015.

The annual number of incidents reported to the U.K. CAA peaked at 1,912 in 2011, but has since dropped off. Data here

The result was new legislation proposed in 2016 that finally reached the statute book in 2018 in an attempt to tackle the problem.

Back in the 90's we were looking at how we could accommodate testing of a laser on Cape Canaveral AFS. One of the safety guys said they did not know what the Normal Ocular Hazard Range was for the laser. My response was:

1. On the Cape it is going to be tested inside a building.
2. It is supposed to be capable of destroying a ballistic missile from 4500 nm away, so I'd guess that the NOHR was around the distance to the Moon.

Green lasers tend to be more powerful than Red lasers, but even Blue lasers can be hazardous.

One issue with a laser beam, is that the focal point of the laser increases with distance, so an aircraft at lower altitudes is not being hit by a "tiny dot", but a larger point of light.
And to add to that, a laser beam will "scatter" when it shines through certain types of transparent material, causing a blinding burst.

Yes, I have experienced this. In fact I've worked with green lasers so powerful that they could burn your eyeballs out of your head. The company I worked for developed a mine detection system for the US Navy that could look underwater to see moored or floating mines. It used a powerful laser at 532nm wavelength (emerald green) to penetrate seawater and an intensified gated CCD camera to display the image. A computer also automatically detected the MLO (mine-like object) and classified it as potentially dangerous. Our helicopter-borne prototype was rushed to the Persian Gulf and used to sweep areas that had been declared "mine-free" by British minesweepers. Many mines were found there. The helicopter could fly at 100 kts and cover an area far wider than a slow minesweeper.
Much nonsense is presented here concerning lasers, their "focus", power, etc. There is no doubt that if you stare directly into a green laser from a few hundred feet, your night vision will be affected, even eye- damaged if the power density is high enough. The question is, who does that? The perpetrator would need to be standing on the runway, pointing the laser directly into the cockpit during approach to shine the light directly into he pilot's eyes. From an oblique angle, the pilot is not staring directly into the laser. If a laser can "scatter" in a cockpit window, so can another aircraft's landing lights, airport beacon, etc.
Once you get both the government and the attorneys involved in any problem, logic & reason & science are thrown out the window.

I recall a case near Newark, I think, where three men, two in their 20s one in his 30s, were arrested when they lasered a police helicopter, whose crew pinpointed the miscreant's location and directed ground units for the arrest.

OK, let the war stories commence...

War stories not needed. I don't have to pretend shit. I'm secure with myself and don't need to be propped up by "no shit there I was" bullshit to sound like im important.

Thousands of pilots and aircrew (myself included) have experienced this. Hence the reports. Its why our SAR crew shooting a night approach into a hospital in NOLA had to abort a landing with a patient on board.

Those that have experienced, know…

IMG_9942.gif

War stories not needed. I don't have to pretend shit. I'm secure with myself and don't need to be propped up by "no shit there I was" bullshit to sound like im important.

Thousands of pilots and aircrew (myself included) have experienced this. Hence the reports. Its why our SAR crew shooting a night approach into a hospital in NOLA had to abort a landing with a patient on board.

Those that have experienced, know…

View attachment 738968
That's a good one... any more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back