US Military Aircraft Names

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Venomstick121

Airman 1st Class
Dec 21, 2023
How are aircraft in the US armed forces named? I understand the Tri-Service designation system but what about the names? Raptor, Kiowa, Lightning, is there a theme between different roles? I am fairly certain helicopters are native american tribes. What about bombers or fighters?

How are aircraft in the US armed forces named? I understand the Tri-Service designation system but what about the names? Raptor, Kiowa, Lightning, is there a theme between different roles? I am fairly certain helicopters are native american tribes. What about bombers or fighters?

Lockheed fighters are generally named after aerospace phenomena (Lightning, Shooting Star, Starfighter). American fighters in general also were named after predatory birds (Eagle, Fighting Falcon, Raptor).

Boeing obviously stuck "-fortress" onto two generations of bombers after the press first coined it, but there doesn't seem much rhyme nor reason to American bombers in general.

The US Army has a long standing tradition to name all its helicopters after native American tribes or famous native Americans (minus the AH-1 Huey Cobra)

UH-1 Iroquois (It became the Huey later, I can tell you that story if you like)

OH-58 Kiowa

CH-47 Chinook

UH-60 Black Hawk

AH-64 Apache

H-13 Sioux

H-19 Chickisaw

H-21 Shawnee

CH-37 Mojave

H-34 Choctaw

CH-54 Tarhe

OH-6 Cayuse

AH-56 Chayenne

RAH-66 Commanche

UH-72 Lakota

The US Army has a long standing tradition to name all its helicopters after native American tribes or famous native Americans (minus the AH-1 Huey Cobra)

UH-1 Iroquois (It became the Huey later, I can tell you that story if you like)

OH-58 Kiowa

CH-47 Chinook

UH-60 Black Hawk

AH-64 Apache

H-13 Sioux

H-19 Chickisaw

H-21 Shawnee

CH-37 Mojave

H-34 Choctaw

CH-54 Tarhe

OH-6 Cayuse

AH-56 Chayenne

RAH-66 Commanche

UH-72 Lakota
Now how about what you guys actually called them?

I would love to hear the story

Its not really anything exciting.

So originally the utility helicopter designation was HU-1 Iroquois (eventually it was changed to UH-1 Iroquois in 1962). The crews and passengers would affectionately call them "Huey's" when talking about them because of the HU designation. Eventually the name Huey stuck, to the point that the manufacturer Bell even put it on the pedals.

So despite official name of the UH-1 being the Iroquois, it is known by everyone and called by everyone the Huey.

IMG_2466.jpeg

Source of picture: Bell Huey Helicopter US AirCraft Pedals Set For Model 204B 1967(Ser#204-001-702)

Its not really anything exciting.

So originally the utility helicopter designation was HU-1 Iroquois (eventually it was changed to UH-1 Iroquois in 1962). The crews and passengers would affectionately call them "Huey's" when talking about them because of the HU designation. Eventually the name Huey stuck, to the point that the manufacturer Bell even put it on the pedals.

So despite official name of the UH-1 being the Iroquois, it is known by everyone and called by everyone the Huey.

View attachment 757192

Source of picture: Bell Huey Helicopter US AirCraft Pedals Set For Model 204B 1967(Ser#204-001-702)
Thanks for the interesting story

Users who are viewing this thread

Back