Boeing Names Independent Quality Review Leader

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree, but I do not have access to all the data.

However, it shows a huge decrease in accident rates and fatalities over the last 60 or so years. This tells me that todays designs are relatively safe in comparison to earlier designs, and Boeing is either doing a much better job nowadays than in the earlier designs, or the pilots and ATCs are enormously better, or some combination of both.

But any way I look at it, Admiral Beez's question, re
Is it truly that difficult to make high quality aircraft and still make a healthy profit? Boeing did exactly that for decades before the MD merger.
does not apply relative to quality (or safety).

Two things would have changed Boeing's fortunes.

First, have Boeing disclose the necessity and the addition of MCAS in the 737 Max series and institute training and simulator updates specific for this type, rather than the mgmt and sales guys sneakily trying to maintain the legacy 737 NG training/sims. Yes, this would have put Boeing at a competitive disadvantage to the Airbus A320neo with regards to their customers' acquisition and training costs, but that's what you get for trying to stretch out a nearly sixty year old aircraft. Boeing would need to lower 737 Max prices to offset its customers' higher on-boarding costs.

Second, have Boeing ensure that their aircraft are assembled correctly, including checking that the bolts on its 737 Max door plugs are installed and torqued to spec.

That's it. Do these two things and Boeing and the Max program will remain highly regarded.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back