Lasers Being Pointed At Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And on that note, I apologize to the forum ( manta22 manta22 included) for being very un-moderator-like. Sometimes my BS meter pegs out, but I should hold myself to a higher standard. I can't ask you all to remain civil if I fail to do so myself. My sincere apologies.

For that reason, I will recuse myself from this discussion going forward…
No apology needed to the forum or o me- no offense taken. This is an adult forum where we can discuss things rationally but without necessarily agreeing. Now lets talk about bird strikes... :rolleyes::)

A link to visible and non-visible light laser devices Class 1-4 definitions "Laser Classification Explanation"
Infrared lasers are much more dangerous to the human eye compared to a visible laser of the same power, because infrared lasers do not trigger a blink reflex, which means the laser has much more time to damage your retina.

You can't see infrared light so you don't know it is aimed at you.

And to add to that, a laser beam will "scatter" when it shines through certain types of transparent material, causing a blinding burst.
Back maybe 30 years ago, one night the local magistrate came to my brother's home, in a very small very rural town in SC, saying "I need your help! Get your gun and get in the car!"

They drove to a house; there were a number of cars parked around it. A major rumble was about to take place, a disagreement between two groups, and the magistrate wanted to stop it before it got started. The magistrate got out of the car, told my brother to take cover behind it, and started giving orders, telling the people there to break it up and go home. My brother switched on the sight laser on his AK-47, which accidentally hit one of the mirrors on one of the cars and suddenly there were a hundred red dots, everywhere.

And that shut things right down.

Very difficult to find any to purchase retail.

Lasers are easy to purchase.
There are solid state room temp. MASERs now.

Then again, with the way that technology is advancing, I'm not surprised that they have actually come up with a real life, working light saber!

I have used my Fujifilm DSLRs to see the light from remotes. And as for night vision, those little pointer lasers show up VERY well with those. I have a blue laser I've not tried with the night vision scope.

My night-vision can see IR, but none of my Pentax DSLRs can.
Silicon photodetectors can't see past about 900nm. The IR is cut off; Indium antimonide or germanium response extends further into the infrared. IR cameras typically use cooled detectors for high sensitivity applications.

Funny thing is that if you need to test a TV remote control, you can't see the IR light, but if you use a digital camera to look at it, you can see it.
Your eye can't see it but the right photographic device can "see" it and convert it to an image that you can see.

That's because TV IR remotes use LEDs in the range of 900nm, on the edge of silicon responsivity. It is "near-IR".
The new Webb Telescope operates in the infrared spectrum and produces beautiful photos of the cosmos.

But they are all synthetic renderings using colors that we can see.

The James Webb Space Telescope is a space telescope specifically designed to conduct infrared astronomy. Its high-resolution and high-sensitivity instruments allow it to view objects too old, distant, or faint for the Hubble Space Telescope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back