Lavochkin fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

noob2331

Airman
May 7, 2021
Hello everyone, I'd like to ask a question about Lavachkin fighter. During playing the game of war thunder, I found that there are two oil inlets on the engine fairing of La11 fighter in the view of the internal structure of the game, one above and one below. I don't know much about Lavachkin fighter series, So I would like to ask you which one is the real oil inlet and what is the other for? Or are both oil inlets?It would be better if there were relevant structure drawings. Thank you so much!

According to Russian books for the La-11, there were two oil tanks. The main one was attached to the fuselage bulkheads no.1. The capacity of the tank was 63l but it was filled with 50l of the oil as the standard. The second oil tank was attached to the fuselage frame in front of the right ammo box. Its capacity was 25l. The hatch of the oil filler was in front of the cockpit wind screen on its right side.

la11_oil hatch_1.jpg

la11_oil hatch_2.jpg

the pic source: the net

Like the picture show

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 43
Like the picture show

Not exactly. Your first image shows the location of the oil radiator OP-812. The second one is correct and presents the location of the second oil tank of 25l.

Here is the location of the main oil tank 60l ...
oiltank 60l.jpg

Here the location of the 25l oil tank ...
oiltank 25l.jpg

And here the location of the oil radiator OP-812 with its airduct
la11_3a.jpg

noob2331 noob2331 .... You have asked about the oil inlets in your first post what is a little bit misleading IMHO. There is a difference between the oil inlet and the oil tank. Well .. the oil inlet for the La-11 was located as I posted in the post #2. The location of both oil tanks you may see in the post above.

noob2331 noob2331 .... You have asked about the oil inlets in your first post what is a little bit misleading IMHO. There is a difference between the oil inlet and the oil tank. Well .. the oil inlet for the La-11 was located as I posted in the post #2. The location of both oil tanks you may see in the post above.
Wojtek, I have the impression we are "lost in translation" here. When I first checked the initial question I didn't understand what is noob2331 asking about.
"Oil inlets" is not the correct description for the filler caps of the oil tanks. On the other hand the inlet/intake of the oil cooler system/radiator (what I think the question is about) is not an oil inlet. Or the question eventually includes the carburetor intake as well?
If we go back to the first question:
I would like to ask you which one is the real oil inlet and what is the other for? Or are both oil inlets?It would be better if there were relevant structure drawings.
There are 2 inlets/intakes in the nose (above and bellow the propeller):
la11-14.jpg

1. Top is carburetor intake
2. Bottom is oil radiator intake
In the game they are both shown, but is hard to understand that the top one is an intake:
be6kdJi.jpg

They are clearly shown in the scheme by Wurger in post #6.
P.S. Or maybe the question is simply about the 2 OIL TANKS... :rolleyes:
Cheers!

Last edited:
I agree Ives. That's my first thought as well. The two air intakes at the front of the engine cowling and posted the references for that.. But later I read the first post again and thought about the oil inlet/filler cap. So I changed the attachment. Because of the two pics noob2331 posted I added one post more with the location of both oil tanks. Also I attached the diagram with the airducts both for the carburetor and the oil radiator marked. So now all should be clear.

And the front view of the air intakes for the La-11.
la11_.jpg

I agree Ives. That's my first thought as well. The two air intakes at the front of the engine cowling and posted the references for that.. But later I read the first post again and thought about the oil inlet/filler cap. So I changed the attachment. Because of the two pics noob2331 posted I added one post more with the location of both oil tanks. Also I attached the diagram with the airducts both for the carburetor and the oil radiator marked. So now all should be clear.

And the front view of the air intakes for the La-11.
View attachment 656443
Yep, I agree! Noob 2331 can choose from all those "inlets", "intakes" or else.
In the last photo you show, the carburetor intake is clearly visible, IMHO in open position.
BTW it is always fun to find which intake is for what exactly on any type of piston-engine plane.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Diagram air ducts for the carburetor.

So that would be the Alternate Air Valve ... ambient (cold) ram air for performance or cowl (warmer) air for carb de-icing. I wonder if they had a filter for the cowl air? Probably not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back