Leonides Major Engine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kilkenny

Airman
Jan 26, 2021
Gunston said in his Encyclopedia that " All Leonides had an efficient low-pressure fuel-injection system, and a vast range of accessories and equipment suited them to many applications." Was it that excellent? How much better than the G-R 14M was it? With a diameter under 1 meter, could the Leonides Major have been a major player if developed in the late 30's instead of ten years later? Any thoughts about this?

I have no idea how 'excellent' it was.
The fuel injection seems to be (by listings in books) a single nozzle into the eye of the supercharger. A number of engines were using similar by the end of WWII.

The engine was too small to be a major player.
It was 18.3 liters and was good for 860hp at 3,000rpm for take-off using 100/130 fuel and 9.25lbs of boost.
It was de-rated for helicopter use. At least in a 1956 book.
It was about 200lbs heavier than the G-R 14M (1200lbs). I don't know why, so speculating, it was for reliability/durability? In the 1950s people expecting much longer engine life than was common in the 1930s.
It was certainly smaller in diameter but it was heavier and made less power than a Bristol Mercury that was running on 87 octane fuel.

The fuel injection seems to be (by listings in books) a single nozzle into the eye of the supercharger. A number of engines were using similar by the end of WWII.

It was 18.3 liters and was good for 860hp at 3,000rpm for take-off using 100/130 fuel and 9.25lbs of boost.
It was about 200lbs heavier than the G-R 14M (1200lbs). I don't know why, so speculating, it was for reliability/durability? In the 1950s people expecting much longer engine life than was common in the 1930s.
It was certainly smaller in diameter but it was heavier and made less power than a Bristol Mercury that was running on 87 octane fuel.
Thanks... interesting...

The GR-14M wasn't exactly renowned for reliability.

There is also the issue of TBO. Some of the wartime engines were extremely maintenance hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back