Less We Ever Forget

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

An example of knowing history, is working on a car and some young know-it-all says "wait, let me show how to do it" so I stand back and when he turns back, I hand him the proper tools without a word. I guess I was different as a young teen, because I liked to hear the tails the old greyheads told, no matter how outrageous. The amazing thing was that I often heard the same account of the same incident from someone unknown to the earlier people. Even the tall tails and embellishments of those in our flying model club are often factual or close to it. We had a long time member who grew up in New Jersey, a hub of flying model activity in late 40s-50s, and would tell of the most incredible exploits. At one of the national AMA contests, this one in Lake Charles LA, several of our members were in a group when a guy came yelling "Tom,Tom" and began asking him if he remembered this and that when he lived in NJ. Amazing. Exactly as we had heard.

The body of history will exist, regardless of how it's interpreted.

The later generations will always have the luxury of looking back from their own perspective, but the concept of examining past events to learn from them is not a new concept.

Marcus Aurelius made a point of that nearly 2,000 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back