Liquid cooled aero engine with <12 cylinders? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It may have perfect primary balance, but it's not even firing.
Oh I know, that is why they make a strange "blat blat" note, but in the strange world of motorcycles uneven firing gives better traction than even firing does. Especially with the Moto Guzzi the exhaust note makes you think it would vibrate like hell whereas it is smooth as silk.

Did the OL-2 floatplane with the inverted Packard V-1650 (not the Merlin; the worked-over Liberty engine!) engine fly in WW2?

I remember reading about a couple of OL-1A that were still being used in the area pf the Philippines, but they were in civilian hands before the war. I do not know if they did any flying after the war started, either in civilian or military hands. I do not remember the name of the company that they belonged to.:(

I have owned both of exactly the same displacement, Triumph 750 (360 crank) and Kawasaki 750 (180). The Triumph was much more "rideable" especially in the wet, the Kawasaki vibrated less but the vibrations were far more annoying despite it having balance shafts to reduce it. I went as a pillion on both a Ducati 860 and a Moto Guzzi 850, despite all the noise they make they hardly vibrate at all.
I owned a 1969 Triumph for twelve years. Loved the 360 degree. Vibrated like hell, but you knew you felt alive! I'm flat out at 5:13.

It was good in the mud too.

Last edited:
I owned a 1969 Triumph for twelve years. Loved the 360 degree. Vibrated like hell, but you knew you felt alive! I'm flat out at 5:13.

It was good in the mud too.

I had a T120V and a T140V (bought new 1977 silver jubilee edition) and a Norton 500SS. A friend of mine had a Norton 650 Dominator, that really was the dogs goolies, not only did the featherbed frame handle like a dream it also seemed to isolate a lot of the vibration.
1619213928316.png

I would like to tell you how it went, but after 1050 miles "Sue" did a right turn in front of me and wiped us both out 50 miles after it was "run in". Myself and the girl on the back survived, the bike and the car didnt.

Probably already stated (sorry, didn't read through the thread), but both the Fiesler-Storch and the BF-108 were powered by the same inverted Argus V-8 engine.
Argus As 10 - Wikipedia

Inverted air-cooled V-8s. The OP was asking about liquid-cooled aircraft engines with fewer than 12 cylinders that were in production in the WWII era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back