Lockheed Hudson 233 Squadron Code Letters (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aug 19, 2022
Hi,
I am searching for the code letter of one of the 233 Squadron Lockheed Hudson Mk I
The Aircraft number is N7255, and squadron code is ZS, however I am not able to find the particular Aircraft Letter.
The ORB has no information.
The Hudson Mk I was on a recce in Haugesund/Norway 18th. April 1940.
The Pilot, Gron Edwards, who wrote the book NORWEGIAN PATROL do not give any details.
Can anyone please help?
Regards
Oystein Ostensjo
Norway

Lockheed Hudson Mk.I N7255 ZS-S ...
The source: Accident Lockheed Hudson Mk I N7255, 05 Jun 1940

the N7255 in 1940
IWM-CH-1919-Lockheed-Hudson-Mk.-I-ZS-S-of-No.-233-Sqn.jpg

the source: Royal Air Force kamuflasje og merking under felttoget i Norge 1940 - Acta Norvegica

Thank you very much, this is great!

Tusen takk for et raskt og utfyllende svar Bengt-Inge Stangvik.
Du imponerer som alltid, og Acta Norvegica er unikt.
Hilsen Øystein Østensjø

The Warpaint book has P5117 as ZS⦿S. Interesting, also this... Accident Lockheed Hudson I P5117, 05 Oct 1940

Yes, but it looks like the N7255 was lost in June while the P5117 in the October of the same year. So the P5117 had to replaced the N7255. No wonder she could be coded with the same letters. However the Airframe AFD48199 decal set shows the slightly different in size code letters for her. Also looking at the losses of the no. 233 Squadron in the first half of the 1940 I noticed that the lost planes belonged to the batch with the N72** serials.

Yes, but it looks like the N7255 was lost in June while the P5117 in the October of the same year. So the P5117 had to replaced the N7255. No wonder she could be coded with the same letters. However the Airframe AFD48199 decal set shows the slightly different in size code letters for her. Also looking at the losses of the no. 233 Squadron in the first half of the 1940 I noticed that the lost planes belonged to the batch with the N72** serials.
As I understand by this, N7255 was marked with the code letters ZS-S, meaning that it was NOT using the code ZS-Q.... as it is suggested by the "Militærhistorisk Forening Rogaland" book number 5, Alarmstart (at Sola/Stavanger).
Gron Edwards Hudson almost hit one of the bridges in the Haugesund Harbor, flying at 50 feet, trying to escape the German FLAK. However they received a hit in the port engine, and had to fly back to Leuchars on one engine.

Yes, believing the sources found the ZS-S was the N7255. I have tried to find out more on the ZS-Q but nothing was found. It couldn't be excluded that the Hudson with the code ZS-Q was used for the flight though. But its serial must have been different.

I guess that I am going to decide on the S code marking. Thank you for your help! I appreciate it. The kit is however one of the 1/48 Classic Arframe sets. Purchased long time ago for this very project. I hope that it goes together without too much problem.

Grasped. AS memo serves the Classic Arframe is a nice kit and there shouldn't be any troubles with assembling. But all depends on you and your skills.

A quick review ..

and more detailed assembling ...

Grasped. AS memo serves the Classic Arframe is a nice kit and there shouldn't be any troubles with assembling. But all depends on you and your skills.

A quick review ..

and more detailed assembling ...
Thank you very much for this nice information! I will do my best to make a nice model, representing NZ-S.

Good lack. Looking forward to pictures of the assembling process. And certainly of the final product. :wave:

I have become somewhat confused about the code letters. I am sorry to say. Because Christopher Shores book "Fledgling Eagles" is showing a photo of a Hudson of 233 Squadron, and as well as the front cover of Gron Edwards book, is showing that the Hudson have the code letters QX-W…..!?

Attachments

• DBF046FF-4CBC-4EA8-A6C0-1CFBA1ECBF22.jpeg
    DBF046FF-4CBC-4EA8-A6C0-1CFBA1ECBF22.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • A5C4EE4A-330E-4CE7-B10D-7E4ADFAE2CFD.jpeg
    A5C4EE4A-330E-4CE7-B10D-7E4ADFAE2CFD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
The "QX" code is of the no. 224 Squadron RAF. The QX-W was the Hudson Mark I, T9277 of the squadron based at Leuchars. The pic was taken in flight off the Scottish coast. The Hudson was a late production Mark I, fitted with Hydromatic propellers and early ASV Mark 1 radar. T9277 went missing while on a patrol off Norway on 9 December 1940.

The known code letters for the 224 Squadron: , PW, QA, QX, XB,

Great! Thank you for your speedy reply, and information. I am happy to know that this is a mixup - "as usual". Now I might continue according to my plans 👍 Decals and paint masks are ordered. The my old CA Hudson Mk. I kit, has been waiting in my stash for many years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back