Lockheed Hudson gunsight - true? (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

RichardSuhkoi

Airman 1st Class
Apr 27, 2021
Here is a gunsight with a short backstory. Alleged to have been recovered right after crash in 1941 of a Lockheed Hudson in Goose Bay Labrador in 1941 (ferry command?). It is about 5 3/4" tall. Very well made (not from an arcade game I think). Does anyone know of a gun on any Hudson that used such a sight? Seems to have a detention ball.

Attachments

• IMG_2360.jpeg
    IMG_2360.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2361.jpeg
    IMG_2361.jpeg
    584.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2362.jpeg
    IMG_2362.jpeg
    816 KB · Views: 1
Now that it appears to in fact be correct for a Hudson, do records exist for crashes in Goose Bay 1941?
Also, I wonder if a Museum might need this to complete a display aircraft? Does anyone know of such a need or are these sights common?

There were two different type sites used. One with the ring on the outside of the aircraft Post #2 and one with the ring on the inside/bead outside Post #8.

The Hudson Mk.I had two fixed foreward .303 Brownings in the nose.
Don't forget that the 3's and 3A's had a retractable dorsal gun....
Nice. Were the Hudsons used in Malaya thus armed?

heed_Hudson_-_Air_Ministry_Second_World_War_CF1264.jpg

I wonder what the most powerfully armed Lockheed Hudson was. Two fixed .303 in the nose, another two .303 in mgs in the dorsal turret, and perhaps beam gunners? Now just add eight underwing rockets and we're all set. Too bad the torpedo option was not pursued - though I don't see how without major changes to the lower fuselage and undercarriage.

The British were clearly impressed with Lockheed's concept, but asked for several changes, all of which were swiftly implemented. Johnson later recalled that further redesign work was carried out in England: "In a period of 80 hours, working alone, I was required to revise our proposal to incorporate English armament such as turrets, torpedoes, mines, bombs and forward-firing guns."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back